looking up value in chart

  1. #1
    Re2112
    Guest

    looking up value in chart

    I am creating a worksheet and I need help with a formula. I have a chart 5
    rows by 6 colums on page 1. On page 2, I have two colums that I will fill in
    with which row and colum to use. How do I execute which row/collum to look in?
    example:
    a2 states the colum and a3 states which row. a4 would give the reference
    value of both a2+a3. Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor kraljb's Avatar
    Illinois
    MS-Off Ver
    2007 (recent change)
    Assuming that when you say it is referring to the column you mean a value of "A"...

    =INDIRECT(A2 & A3)

  3. #3
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: looking up value in chart

    enter in A4
    =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$3:$F$7,A3,FALSE)
    you can extend the formula to the right.
    A2 is a number in the first column of your table
    the first column needs to be sorted (ascending values)
    you may want to add a help column as the first i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6.
    the value in A3 is the column number from the left including the first.

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Re2112
    Guest

    Re: looking up value in chart

    Thank ya'll for the help. I made it work with =Index. I will try the Vlookup
    on another part of my workbook. Thanks again