inserting text

  1. #1
    Jon1205
    Guest

    inserting text

    I have a sheet that lists the sales tax of different cities. I want to be
    able to inport the specific rate into a cell on another sheet so that it
    states

    Sales Tax (7.0%)

    Is there any way that I can link the percentage to the other sheet so that I
    don't have to change it when I change the city in an above cell.

    Thanks for any help

  2. #2
    Although it'd be more helpful if you were more specific, how about a vlookup combined with a concatenation. This will take a little setup. For this suggestion you'll have to have the workbook with the tax rates have the city in column A and the rate in B. For this example, we'll presume the cities and rates occupy cells A1:B50 on that sheet.

    So, supposing that's done and the city is in column A and the tax in column B on your main sheet:

    In cell B2:

    ="Sales Tax ("&vlookup(A2,'[TheOtherBook]Sheet1'!$A$1:$B$50,2,0)&"%)"

    You can omit the % symbol if you already have it on the rates in the other workbook.

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: inserting text

    Yes! Check out the VLOOKUP() function in Help.

  4. #4
    Jon1205
    Guest

    Re: inserting text

    I tried that. The equation that I used was:

    ="Sales Tax (vlookup(tax,indirect('&$C$1&'!A2:B17),2,False))"

    It just prints everything in quotation marks. If I just use the vlookup
    function it will return the 7%, but I would like it to return "Sales Tax (7%)"

    Is That possible?
    Thanks

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: inserting text

    Try this......... ="Sales Tax
    ("&vlookup(tax,indirect('&$C$1&'!A2:B17),2,False)&")"

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jon1205
    Guest

    Re: inserting text

    Thanks carg1. That is exactly what I wanted.

  7. #7
    No prob, glad to help