Need help in calculation at specific location

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Singapore
    MS-Off Ver

    Question Need help in calculation at specific location

    A B C
    1 breakfast $13.50
    2 water $1.10
    3 food $80.00
    4 others $13.90
    5 food $4

    Is it possible to type an equation whereby it will scan A1:C5 and if the word "food" is found it will add the number next to it? I can't seems to use IF(logic_test, true value,false value) for this... pls help

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need help in calculation at specific location

    =sumif(A:A,"food",B:B)

    RP

    "Lewis Koh" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    FSt1
    Guest

    RE: Need help in calculation at specific location

    hi,
    =sumif(B1:B5,"Food",C1:C5)
    regards
    FSt1

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Singapore
    MS-Off Ver
    Thanks guys!!!! It works!!! BTW, how did you guys learn to use these syntax? I can't seems to find the syntax to use from the Excel Help...Don't even know where to start..

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Singapore
    MS-Off Ver
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Koh
    A B C D E
    1 breakfast $13.50 food $5
    2 water $1.10 Shirt $10
    3 food $80.00
    4 others $13.90
    5 food $4

    Is it possible to type an equation whereby it will scan A1:C5 and if the word "food" is found it will add the number next to it? I can't seems to use IF(logic_test, true value,false value) for this... pls help
    Hmm...=sumif(B1:B5,"Food",C1:C5) can't work if food appears on another column. Is there a way to work around this?

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need help in calculation at specific location

    You have to add a separate summation for that column.

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Singapore
    MS-Off Ver
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Koh
    A B C
    1 Breakfast $13.50
    2 water $1.10
    3 Lunch $80.00
    4 others $13.90
    5 Dinner $4
    Hmm...now I wanted to catogorized breakfast,lunch and dinner as food. I tried B6=SUMIF(B1:B5,OR("breakfast","Lunch","Dinner"),C1:C5). The logic seems to be allowable but it couldn't add up to the correct amount. It always shows "0". May I know if I have typed something wrong?

  8. #8
    Forum Expert
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016
    Posts
    1,474
    Try.

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1:B5,{"Breakfast","Lunch","Dinner"},0))),C1:C5)

    OR

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1:B5,E1:E3,0))),C1:C5)

    ...wherre E1:E3 contains Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

    Hope this helps!

  9. #9
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Need help in calculation at specific location

    Try instead, array-entered (i.e. press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):

    =SUM(IF(A1:A5={"Breakfast","Lunch","Dinner"},B1:B5))

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need help in calculation at specific location

    =SUM(SUMIF(B1:B5,{"Breakfast","Lunch","Dinner"},C1:C5))

  11. #11
    Forum Contributor
    Singapore
    MS-Off Ver