EXCEL 2003 formulae

  1. #1
    EXCEL formulae
    Guest

    EXCEL 2003 formulae

    The cells are formatted to number or currency and the formulae =A3/A2
    returned an error message stating that "The formulae you typed contains an
    error". I have entered 2 numbers i.e. 100 20 in cells A3 and A2
    respectively. However, If I type 100/20 it returns 5.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    The only way I could reproduce that message with the conditions you described was
    =A3'/A2

    Can you do =A3 and =A2 etc?

    Quote Originally Posted by EXCEL formulae

  3. #3

    Re: EXCEL 2003 formulae

    Just a guess--'cause I couldn't reproduce your error messages.

    I'm guessing that you've used the slash character in your windows settings as
    something--maybe the List character???

    close excel
    Windows start button|settings|control panel|regional settings applet
    regional options tab (in winxp), click customize

    Look for Numbers tab
    List separator.

    If that's not it, poke around looking for slashes in that dialog on different
    tabs.

    If you find something that looks like it's the problem, make a note of the
    original value (so you can change it back if it isn't the problem).