Coversion Of Fractions To Percentages

  1. #1
    Saxman
    Guest

    Coversion Of Fractions To Percentages

    One of my hobbies is horse racing and I am faced with the following problem.

    If one converts an incomplete fraction like 5/4 (1.25 decimal), as a
    percentage it equals 44%.

    Likewise 2/1 (2.0), 33%.

    How can I type fractions as above in one cell, and convert/replace them
    to a percentage as above in another cell? The conversion does not have
    to be formatted as a percentage, just a number to use for calculations
    in the next stage.

  2. #2
    i am confused as to what exactly you are asking. Please explain further as i may have a solution.

  3. #3
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    RE: Coversion Of Fractions To Percentages

    1 - (numerator / (numerator + denominator))

    HTH,
    --
    Gary Brown
    gary_brown@ge_NOSPAM.com

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Coversion Of Fractions To Percentages

    You must be doing something incorrectly.
    First mark the rrange of cells where you want to enter your data and
    Format>Cells>Number>Percentage
    Then in a cell tpe =5/4 and it will show 125%, =2/1 will show 200%, =7/2
    will show 350%

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    RE: Coversion Of Fractions To Percentages

    in Cell A1 put 5/4 which equals 1.25
    in Cell B1 put the following formula...
    = 1 - (A1/(A1+1))
    this will equal .4444

  6. #6
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    Re: Coversion Of Fractions To Percentages

    or, in Saxman's example, .22

    1 - (3.5/(3.5+1)) = .22

  7. #7
    Saxman

    Roger Govier wrote:
    > You must be doing something incorrectly.
    > First mark the rrange of cells where you want to enter your data and
    > Format>Cells>Number>Percentage
    > Then in a cell tpe =5/4 and it will show 125%, =2/1 will show 200%, =7/2
    > will show 350%

    I probably require some sort of lookup or match function.

    In cell A1 I put the value 5/4. In horse racing markets, 5/4 odds has a
    44% chance. Probably the value 44 needs to be place in another cell for
    lookup purposes?

    What I require is a spreadsheet which will give a value of 44 in a cell
    by typing in 5/4 in another cell (its equivalent).

  8. #8
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    Re: Coversion Of Fractions To Percentages

    > What I require is a spreadsheet which will give a value of 44 in a cell
    > by typing in 5/4 in another cell (its equivalent).

    in Cell A1 put 5/4 which equals 1.25
    in Cell B1 put the following formula...
    = 1 - (A1/(A1+1))

    Cell B1 will now equal .4444

    HTH,

  9. #9
    Saxman

    Gary L Brown wrote:
    > in Cell A1 put 5/4 which equals 1.25
    > in Cell B1 put the following formula...
    > = 1 - (A1/(A1+1))
    > this will equal .4444

    This works fine, providing I enter =B1*100 in cell C1.

    Thanks.

  10. #10
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Coversion Of Fractions To Percentages

    Then Gary has given you the answer you want.
    I had mistakenly thought you were getting an answer of 44% when you were
    expecting 125%.
    In case you didn't see Gary's post he wrote

    with A1 =5/4
    in B1= 1 - (A1/(A1+1))
    will return an answer of .4444