Need help with a formula

  1. #1

    Question Need help with a formula

    Hi everyone! I'm struggling with a formula and I'm hoping someone can help.

    On "sheet 1" column A (rows 2 - 36) I have a listing of different assembly option descriptions that a person could pick from. The user picks the particular option(s) by placing a "1" (instead of a "0") in the column D field of that row.

    On "sheet 2" column A (rows 33 - 38) I have blank rows in which I would like to have populated with the actual option description from "sheet 1" ONLY when a "1" has been selected.

    In other words, if the customer selects five (5) options from "sheet 1" then only those five option selections would show up on "sheet 2". (Sheet 2 becomes the summary document without the detail from sheet 1) I hope that makes sense.

    Now if a person selects 10 options is there a way to have sheet 2 "grow" to accomodate the more options that were selected?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Rich

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Need help with a formula

    Hi, Rich. I have a tutorial that does something very similar. Perhaps it
    will help you. See:
    http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...soft_excel.htm

    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    "rjlasko" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Need help with a formula

    On sheet 1, you could add another column, in which you number the
    selected items. For example, in cell E2, enter:

    =IF(D2>0,MAX($E$1:E1)+1,"")

    On sheet 2, in cell A33, enter the formula:

    =IF(MAX(Sheet1!$E$2:$E$36)<ROW()-32,"",
    INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$36,MATCH(ROW()-32,Sheet1!$E$2:$E$36,0)))

    and copy down as far as required.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  4. #4

    Thanks Debra!

    That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you VERY much!

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Need help with a formula

    You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it helped.