Conditional Formating-can't seem to get the hang of it.

  1. #1

    Conditional Formating-can't seem to get the hang of it.

    I am trying to conditional format cells with a value that comes from a formula
    say mid(e6,5,4) = 2004 I want all 2004 values to show bold and red. But can't seem to get the hang of it.

  2. #2

    re: Conditional Formating-can't seem to get the hang of it.

    Something like:

    =MID(E6,5,4) ="2004"

    But if that formula is really returning a date:
    =year(e6)=2004
    would work better.

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    re: Conditional Formating-can't seem to get the hang of it.

    Maybe because the return of your formula is Text, since you used a Text
    formula.

    Either change your formula to return a *true* number:

    =--MID(E6,5,4)

    OR

    Revise your CF formula to recognize Text:

    Formula Is =A1="2004"
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "Delaina" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Thanks-the number one did the trick. I know this may be a stupid question-but if you put the hyphens infront of any formula will it produce numbers? Is there anywere on the web little tips like that are posted..?
    Thanks again!

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    re: Conditional Formating-can't seem to get the hang of it.

    You wouldn't need it for "regular" formulas, because they're numbers
    calculating numbers.

    As I said, you used a Text parsing formula on numbers, forcing a Text
    return.

    =MID(E6,5,4)*1
    =MID(E6,5,4)+0

    Would have produced the same results

    Use of the unary is just easier and quicker.

    Check out this link of John McGimpsey:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html