use a formula as a cell reference in a function

  1. #1
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187

    use a formula as a cell reference in a function

    I have a workbook with a Summary sheet and then a series of sheets for each month/year. Onthe summary sheet I use column A for the month/year as a date formatted "mmm yy" ie the same as the sheet names.

    in columns B,C,D I want formulae that sums or averages a fixed range on each sheet but I would like the formula to take the sheet name from Columa A rather than hard coding it.

    So that in the example =SUM('Dec 04'!$C$6:$C$47) I want to take the "Dec 04" from the text in cell A3

    Many thanks,

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: use a formula as a cell reference in a function

    Hi Tony,

    Look in HELP for the INDIRECT() function

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    "tony h" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: use a formula as a cell reference in a function

    A little awkward but try
    =sum(offset(indirect("'"&A3&"'!$C$6"),0,0,42)

  4. #4
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    Thank you for your help.

    A bit of playing about (and the function you so kindly pointed out) gives =INDIRECT("'" & TEXT(A4,"mmm yy") & "'!$C$3",TRUE)

    without the TEXT function it brought in the date serial number, and the sum function is : =SUM(INDIRECT("'"&TEXT(A4,"mmm yy")&"'!$C$6:C40",TRUE))

    Many thanks

  5. #5
    Niek Otten

  6. #6
    bj

  7. #7
    Niek Otten

  8. #8
    bj

  9. #9
    Niek Otten

  10. #10
    bj

  11. #11
    bj

  12. #12
    Niek Otten

  13. #13
    Niek Otten

  14. #14
    bj

  15. #15
    bj

  16. #16
    Niek Otten

  17. #17
    bj

  18. #18
    Niek Otten

  19. #19
    Niek Otten

  20. #20
    bj

  21. #21
    Niek Otten

  22. #22
    bj

  23. #23
    bj

  24. #24
    Niek Otten

  25. #25
    Niek Otten

  26. #26
    bj

  27. #27
    Niek Otten

  28. #28
    bj

  29. #29
    bj

  30. #30
    Niek Otten

  31. #31
    bj

  32. #32
    Niek Otten

  33. #33
    bj

  34. #34
    Niek Otten

  35. #35
    bj

  36. #36
    Niek Otten

  37. #37
    Micah
    Guest

    Re: use a formula as a cell reference in a function

    I have the same question, but instead of "mmm yy" I want to referene a cell
    with the word "Quality" in it. I then want to concatenate that cell with
    R2C2 such that I get a formula =Quality!R2C2.

    I tried the formula below with the cell for Quality in the text function
    with no formating after the , i.e. text(r1c1, ) and could not get it to work.

    Your help would be appreciated.

  38. #38
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: use a formula as a cell reference in a function

    Hi!

    Are you using the R1C1 reference style?

    Assume R1C1 (A1) = Quality

    =INDIRECT(R1C1&"!R2C2",FALSE)

    Evaluates to:

    =Quality!B2 (R2C2)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  39. #39
    Micah
    Guest

    Re: use a formula as a cell reference in a function

    Thanks Biff, I got it to work now. I have been looking for the function in
    excel which acts like formula in VBA for a long time. Thanks again.