Social Security numbers

  1. #1
    Hernan
    Guest

    Social Security numbers

    Sometime ago I asked about having a column a numbers (soc sec numbers) and
    one more numbers in them, making a total of 10 numbers. I wanted to strip the
    last digit.

    I was helped by using the following function: =left(a1,9), then I was
    instructed to copy the whole column where the 9 digits were and paste them
    special>value to another column. That way I have the value and not the
    formula. However, when I want to format the resulting value column to
    represent a social security number, it does not accomplish it.

    I have two problems:

    When stripping the last digit the function LEFT does not take in account a
    left zero (leading zero) and,

    How can I format the resulting number to represent a social security number?

    TIA

    Hernan

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Cambridge, England
    If it is because your leading zeros are dropping off and leaving you with a shorter string try

    =LEFT(B4,LEN(B4)-1)

    What format are your social security numbers in?

  3. #3
    Hernan
    Guest

    Re: Social Security numbers

    Hi Ruthki,

    Ok, I'll try that. And the format the social security number is 000-00-0000

    Thanks.

    Hernan

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Cambridge, England
    If all values are numbers I would use a custom format to format the number into what I wanted.

    But first I think you need to change the text string to a value by surrounding it with the Value formula so you end up with

    =VALUE(LEFT(B9,LEN(B9)-1))

    Then with a custom format - select Format, Cells then Custom at the bottom of the available list. Type in 000-000-0000 in the box below the word Type on the right hand side - this should then format your numbers appropriately. Remember to format all the cells which will contain your social security numbers.

    Alternatively you can use a mix of Left() mid() and Right() functions combined together with &"-"&

  5. #5
    Hernan
    Guest

    Re: Social Security numbers

    Hi Ruthki,

    Yes, I try to format the column under custom, that's where the soc sec
    format is along with zip code etc...

    This hint of using =VALUE(LEFT(B9,LEN(B9)-1)), I think will do the trick. :-)

    Thanks and I'll let you know.

  6. #6
    Hernan
    Guest