Excel keeps wrapping cells with text incl. alt/enter

  1. #1

    Unhappy Excel keeps wrapping cells with text incl. alt/enter

    I have a cell with multiple lines (alt/enter line breaks)
    in a standard row where word wrapping is disabled.
    So I see only the first line and that's how I want it.

    Now, when I edit this cell the word wrapping gets
    automatically enabled (checked box) and row height
    gets adjusted to fit the text.

    It seems alt/enter breaks auto enable the wrapping,
    but what I need visible is a clean one line row no matter
    what text I put in.

    Any solution/workaround? I'm on excel2000.
    thanks
    --
    Peter

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: Excel keeps wrapping cells with text incl. alt/enter

    Hi Peter-

    What you are seeing is basically true. When you use the Alt+Enter you _are_
    turning on text wrapping in the cell. By default the row height will
    automatically adjust, but it is easy enough to control... Go to
    Format>Row>Height and set it to the height you prefer (12.75 is the
    default). You can also drag the Row separator to adjust it.

    Once you 'set' the height, that row will not continue to adjust
    automatically when you edit. The unmodified rows adjust automatically by
    default in order to prevent accidentally hiding data from yourself.

    BTW- Column width works the same way when you apply Number formatting. If
    the width can't display the formatted value in full the width will be
    automatically adjusted _unless_ it has already been manually changed.

    HTH |:>)

    On 8/6/05 10:21 AM, in article
    [email protected], "higgs"

  3. #3