how to put a formula in one cell and the result in a another cell

  1. #1
    mark
    Guest

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: how to put a formula in one cell and the result in a another cell

    Not possible, a formula can only yield the result in the same cell that
    holds the formula, you can use VBA to get this done however

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: how to put a formula in one cell and the result in a another cell

    mark

    You cannot. Formulas can only return results to the cell in which they are
    written.

    You must have a formula also in the cell in which you would like to see the
    result.

    Something like =A1 where A1 is the cell with original formula.

    OR skip the A1 part and write your formula in the results-to-be-seen cell.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Atlanta

    Smile how to put a formula in one cell and the result in another...

    "mark
    Guest Posts: n/a

    how to put a formula in one cell and the result in a another cell

    how to put a formula in one cell and the result in a another cell"

    Mark, what you could do is to place a link in the other cell to display the formula results from the cell which happens to have the formula...eg. if A1 has the formula and displays the result but u want it to appear in B1, then u just put "=A1" in B1...also if u dont want to display A1, u may change its font color and make it invisible and protect it so that no one my inadvertently delete it...

    hope this helps...

    Martin

  5. #5
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: how to put a formula in one cell and the result in a another cell

    If your goal is to see both the formula and the result at the same time, then
    do as follows:

    Enter the formula normally in the cell to display the result of the
    calculation.
    Enter the formula without the leading "=" to display the details of the
    calculation in another cell.
    --
    Gary's Student

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: how to put a formula in one cell and the result in a another cell

    Hi Mark,
    You can't, as already indicated but you can document the formula
    used in another cell see GetFormula macro in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...htm#getformula

    You can also do the opposite, but I would not recommend that, because
    with GetFormula you are simply reporting on a working formula.
    ---
    HTH,