Copy tabs(sheets) from workbook without link to original source

  1. #1
    Rich Ulichny
    Guest

    Copy tabs(sheets) from workbook without link to original source

    I want to be able to copy tabs from workbook to workbook. However, when I
    right-click..'choose Move or Copy' and copy the tab into a new workbook,
    the formula now contains the original source file name.

    For example, a simple calc, contained on Sheet2 of my source (book1.xls):

    =+Sheet1!A1+Sheet1!A2

    becomes

    =+[book1.xls]Sheet1!A1+[book.xls]Sheet1!A2

    when it's pasted into a new workbook.

    I do not want to original link contained in the new workbook. How can I copy
    the worksheet without having that orignal source file name in the formula?

    Thanks,

    Rich

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Copy tabs(sheets) from workbook without link to original source

    Here's one workaround: before performing the Move/Copy, perform a Find
    and Replace in the tab. Search for = and replace it with your initials.
    This will convert all formulas to a text string. When you've copied
    the tab into the new workbook, do the F&R for your initials and replace
    it with =. This converts the text back into dynamic formulas.

    The caveat: use something other than your initials if your initials
    will be construed by Excel as part of the name of an existing tab.

  3. #3
    Rich Ulichny
    Guest

    Re: Copy tabs(sheets) from workbook without link to original source

    Thanks. That suggestion worked just fine. Formulas looked a bit messy at
    first but then when I replaced my initials with = sign, things were back to
    normal :-).

    Rich
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    MS-Off Ver
    This method does work. But, is there a way to do this without losing the formatting? I had colors, and made some columns smaller etc.. and there disappeared whenI did the formula conversion by the above method.

    Thanks