Very basic question - how long can a list be?

  1. #1

    Question Very basic question - how long can a list be?

    I have to make a list of names and associated information. The names (in 'surname, initial' order) are being entered in column A, with the other information across the row, in columnss B to G. Every so often, I click on cell A1 and get the list sorted alphabetically. All very easy!

    However, I've just realised that I'll be entering in the region of 3,500 names! My question is, simply, can I make a list that long? It's something I've never done in Excel before, and I don't know if there's a limit to the number of names I can put in one column on Sheet 1. Don't think I can split the work between 3 sheets, as the whole list will need to be put into alphabetical order, so it'd need to be one great long list.

    Many thanks.

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Very basic question - how long can a list be?

    W,

    As long as the data entered is text and not formulas you won't
    have any problem. You will want to make a backup copy of the
    workbook each time it is changed - unless you want to enter all
    that data again at some time in the future.

    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    "Wendus"
    <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

    --
    Wendus
    Wendus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19295

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Very basic question - how long can a list be?

    For many versions now, Excel has been capable of 65,536 rows. Type away!
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

  4. #4
    drlogarithm
    Guest

    Re: Very basic question - how long can a list be?

    If I understand correctly, you are creating a fairly normal list that
    is 3500 rows. No problem: Excel's max # of rows is 65536.

  5. #5

    Many thanks!

    Thanks peeps, I really appreciate your replies.

    The list is purely text, and once entered, the content is unlikely ever to change, so I'm off to 'Carry on Typing' now (ooh, could that be a new film title?), safe in the knowledge that I shan't run out of rows!

    Thanks again for all your help.

    Wendy