Using a drop down list -- Autojump to first letter

  1. #1

    Using a drop down list -- Autojump to first letter

    I have a spreadsheet with many many drop-down lists. Is there any way for a user to enter the first letter of an option and automatically jump to that option in the list?

    The goal is to make this faster to use than (or at least as fast as) writing it out, and right now, clicking on, scrolling through, and selecting from each drop-down is a lengthy process.

  2. #2

    Re: Using a drop down list -- Autojump to first letter

    If you created the dropdowns by using the Combobox from the Control Toolbox
    Toolbar, then you can set a property (.matchentry) to do what you want.

    The Dropdown from the Forms toolbar and Data|Validation don't support this kind
    of thing.

  3. #3
    Gotcha.

    Ok, once I have a combobox from the control toolbar, how do I enter my list values? How do I set matchentry?

  4. #4

    Re: Using a drop down list -- Autojump to first letter

    While in design mode (another icon on that control toolbox toolbar), you can
    right click on the combobox and choose properties.

    Look for linkedcell, listfillrange and matchentry.

    and change style to fmstyledropdownlist--if you only want the user selecting
    from the list (no typing allowed).