Automatic Sum by Category (SumIf extension)

  1. #1

    Automatic Sum by Category (SumIf extension)

    Hello,

    I'm making a budget spreadsheet. This is before-the-fact accounting -- you budget everything and _then_ spend the money.

    Each line contains an expense description, and a category for the expense.

    I want to make a neat list of the total sum in each category.

    This would be easy to do using SumIf, if not for one thing: I want to make it easy to add new categories.

    Meaning, if the user inputs a category which doesn't exist yet in the "category list", it will be recognized as a "new category" and will get its own cell with SumIf and everything.

    Any ideas on how to implement it? I'm starting to think VBA is the way to go... But I don't like it so much.

    What do you think?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Marcus Langell
    Guest

    RE: Automatic Sum by Category (SumIf extension)

    Hi,
    I would use a PivotTable. Check out Debra's PivotTable introduction on
    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm

    /Marcus