Closed Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

List folders to file

  1. #1
    SS
    Guest

    List folders to file

    Hi

    Does anyone have a macro that would list all the folders (with path) and
    subfolders to an excel sheet but not the files?

    Thanks
    Shona

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: List folders to file

    Shona-
    There's a function called CELL() that should return your filename (or
    any of a number of parameters) but I can't get it to work properly on
    my machine, so I can't make it work for you. The syntax is
    =CELL("filename") which ought to return the path and filename of the
    current file, and which you could then trim down to show just the path.

    Can anyone provide some guidance here?

  3. #3
    Steve Yandl
    Guest

    Re: List folders to file

    Dave,

    If it isn't working for you, it probably means that you've not saved the
    file yet.

    I read Shona's question a bit differently. I think the goal is to populate
    a worksheet with the folder structure of some drive, similar to a Windows
    Explorer type display without listing files.

    Steve

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: List folders to file

    Thanks, Steve, you were right about not saving the file.

    I looked into the DIR function in VB Help, which indicates that DIR may
    not be called recursively. So I'm fresh out of answers.

  5. #5

    Re: List folders to file

    One way:

    Option Explicit
    Dim myRow As Long
    Dim wks As Worksheet
    Sub testme()
    Set wks = Worksheets.Add
    myRow = 0
    Call FoldersInFolder("C:\my documents") '<-- change this
    End Sub
    Sub FoldersInFolder(myFolderName As String)

    ' Dim FSO As Scripting.FileSystemObject
    ' Dim myBaseFolder As Scripting.Folder
    ' Dim myFolder As Scripting.Folder
    ' Set FSO = New Scripting.FileSystemObject

    Dim FSO As Object
    Dim myBaseFolder As Object
    Dim myFolder As Object
    Set FSO = CreateObject("scripting.filesystemobject")

    Set myBaseFolder = FSO.GetFolder(myFolderName)

    For Each myFolder In myBaseFolder.SubFolders
    myRow = myRow + 1
    wks.Cells(myRow, "A").Value = myFolder.Path
    Call FoldersInFolder(myFolder.Path)
    Next myFolder

    End Sub

    I commented out some specific Dim statements. If you want to use those (instead
    of the As Object lines), you'll have to set a reference to "microsoft scripting
    library" via tools|References.

    Using the references makes coding/debugging easier--you get that nice
    intellisense feature from the VBE.

  6. #6
    SS
    Guest

    Re: List folders to file

    Thanks for that but it stops at

  7. #7
    SS
    Guest

    Re: List folders to file

    Forget that thanks my mistake put the path wrong!

    Thanks again this is great
    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    BizMark
    Guest

    Re: List folders to file

    Dave,

    That's great - I've been looking for a way to do this for a long time
    too (I have been wanting to write a routine which recurses through a
    chunk of folders and print all the files in each one *in order* - all
    that remains now is seeing if I can access the standard Windows 'File -
    Print' function or DDE message using SHELL or some such).

    Does anybody else dread trying to find out the methods and properties
    available in the Scripting.FileSystemObject? I've never found a way to
    browse the methods of referenced objects or display help on them.

    Is there a way, or is it in some optional help file that's not included
    in Typical Install? Or does it entail buying an expensive reference
    book from Microsoft Press?

    BizMark

    --
    BizMark

  9. #9

    Re: List folders to file

    There's lots of free info at MS.

    VBScript User's Guide
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...c/vbstutor.htm
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...oad/vbsdoc.exe
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...load/jsdoc.exe
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...ost/wshdoc.exe
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...ets/wscdoc.exe

    (saved from a long time ago.)

    And from another post I've kept:

    WSH 2.0 Tutorial
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...utorialTOC.htm
    WSH Documentation
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...ce/default.htm
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...ost/wshdoc.exe

    VBScript User's Guide
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...c/vbstutor.htm
    VBScript Documentation
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...fo/vbsdocs.htm
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...oad/vbsdoc.exe

    FileSystemObject User's Guide
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...jsFSOTutor.htm
    VBScript Run-Time Library Reference [FileSystemObject/Dictionary]
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/.../VBSFSOTOC.htm

    JScript User's Guide
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...UsersGuide.htm
    JScript Documentation
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...nfo/jsdocs.htm
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...load/jsdoc.exe

    WSC Tutorial
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...c/lettitle.htm
    WSC Documentation
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...serverdocs.htm
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/...ets/wscdoc.exe

    In fact, there are newsgroups that are devoted to scripting. You could search
    google for common questions and post questions when you can't find answers.

  10. #10
    Wow, guys, just use the DOS command prompt.

    from the C:\> prompt

    dir/s/b > directory.txt 'This will put all the folders and filenames in a txt file (which Excel reads just fine)
    dir/s/b/ad > directory.txt 'This will send just the folders and not the filenames.
    Type dir /? for even more options.
    A single > overwrites anything that is in the file.
    A double >> appends the new data to the end of the file (directory.txt is just an arbitrary file name you can call it anything you want)

    Sure this is not done from excel, but it is much simpler.

    Szalapski

  11. #11

    Re: List folders to file

    I think "simpler" depends on how often you have to do it and who's gonna do the
    work. And if it's part of a larger mechanized routine, then you'd have to
    start, stop, do manual effort and restart.

    Once you set up the macro, you could be done--just rerun it when you want.

    You won't have to get to the command prompt or import the data.

  12. #12
    BizMark
    Guest

    Re: List folders to file

    TommySzalapski Wrote:
    > Wow, guys, just use the DOS command prompt.
    >
    > from the C:\ prompt
    >
    > dir/s/b directory.txt 'This will put all the folders and filenames in
    > a txt file (which Excel reads just fine)
    > dir/s/b/ad directory.txt 'This will send just the folders and not the
    > filenames.
    > Type dir /? for even more options.
    > A single overwrites anything that is in the file.
    > A double appends the new data to the end of the file (directory.txt
    > is just an arbitrary file name you can call it anything you want)
    >
    > Sure this is not done from excel, but it is much simpler.
    >
    > Szalapski
    >

    > --
    > TommySzalapski
    > TommySzalapski's Profile:
    > View this thread:
    > http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=394981

    I think the point was, Tommy, that a method was needed that IS done
    from Excel!!!

    BM

    --
    BizMark

  13. #13
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: List folders to file

    Dave Peterson <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > One way:
    >

    > SS wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a macro that would list all the folders (with path)
    >> and subfolders to an excel sheet but not the files?

    Another way would be through the ASAP utilities:

    http://www.asap-utilities.com/

    Import/Insert files

    Oops! That's just doing the filenames.
    Anyhow, plenty of useful additions, isn't it?

    --

    It is I, DeauDeau
    (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

  14. #14
    Alright, use (in Excel) the VBA command SHELL. You can then run the command prompt script from excel and have the best of both worlds.

    Szalapski

  15. #15
    Stoke-on-Trent, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

    Re: List folders to file

    i've used the macro code shown and it worked great, now can anyone tell me how would use code to just display the first layer of subdirectory folders and not the second, third etc

    e.g
    Start directory is c:\

    GOOD
    c:\program files
    c:\windows
    c:\documents

    BAD
    c:\program files\nero
    c:\windows\system
    c:\documents\administrator

    And how do i do the reverse, from a list in excel lets say a list of 1000 separate values create a folder for each value.

  16. #16
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988

    Re: List folders to file

    Your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Don't post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread. If you feel it's particularly relevant, provide a link to the other thread.

    Credo Elvem ipsum etian vivere
    A message for cross posters

    Please remember to wrap code.

    Forum Rules

    Please add to your signature if you found this link helpful. Excel links !!!

Closed Thread