Excel Duplicating Workbooks

  1. #1

    Excel Duplicating Workbooks

    Someone in my office sent an Excel file to me. When I open it two files open one has the extension .xls:1 and the other .xls:2. They appear to be the same file, I cannot delete either one without the other one being deleted. Renaming and doing a save-as only compounds the problem, I then have two more files with the :1 and :2 after the file extension.

    Any helpful ideas on how to get just one file would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Excel Duplicating Workbooks

    This is actually just two (or more) windows into the same workbook.

    Just select one of the windows (the one you don't want) and hit ctrl-w.

    Remember to save the workbook the way you want or you'll be doing this again.