Lookup function

  1. #1
    jsteele
    Guest

    Lookup function

    I am using the following lookup function to return a value. I am currently
    using one sheet for the values. I need to be able to use a number of sheets
    representing different counties and values. The formula looks like this
    =VLOOKUP(F12,Sheet1!B2:N53,2)

    I would like to be able to vary the Sheet1 to be different counties and
    equal a cell where the user would imput the county name. The sheets would be
    named the same.

    Can this be done??

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Try this...

    =VLOOKUP(F12,Indirect($B$1),2,0)

    In cell B1, you can enter the country name such as France.

    Also, for each country, go to the respective sheet, select this range B2:N53, and name the country...France, Greece, Italy, etc. Populating cell B1 with the same name.

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Lookup function

    Give the range Sheet1!B2:N53 the name of the county, e.g., "Cuyahoga"

    Then, if the word Cuyahoga is in cell A1, use

    =VLOOKUP(F12,INDIRECT(A1),2)

  4. #4
    jsteele
    Guest

    RE: Lookup function

    Thanks, I will try and get back to you.

    Jeff

  5. #5
    jsteele
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function

    This is getting me closer. The problem is that there is multiple ranges on
    each sheet that i need to access. Is there a way to continue using the range
    ie, B2:N53 for this function and then other for different functions but have
    the sheet name only change by entering it into a cell on the main page.

    jeff

  6. #6
    jsteele
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function

    I have tried your advise and found that the problem is solved for that
    paticular range but will not solve my problem for other ranges on the same
    county sheet. Is there a way to make just the sheet name variable. I thought
    there might be a way to imbed a function inside a function but have been not
    be able to get it to work correctly. Do you have any other suggestions.

    Thank you in advance
    Jsteele