Data Validation

  1. #1
    Thomas Cox
    Guest

    Data Validation

    If anyone can solve this problem then you are superstar.

    What I am doing is creating an Invoice sheet, in which all of our company
    details are in MS Access database which are export to a *.csv file, in which
    I then link my invoice to the *.csv file using a combi box which use an
    index formula to enter the company name into the invoice sheet. That works
    great, then I am using a Vlookup to pull out the company address details by
    using the company name as the LookUp value, ok this also works great,
    although if say have a new company that needs to be invoiced and has not yet
    been updated on our database which would be exported to the CSV, I need to
    enter this manually although when this is done it obviously over types the
    Vlookup can this avoided. Any ideas are much appreciated!!

    Thank you in advance!!

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Method one would be toi insert the new details into the lookup table (area)

    Method two would be to make the VLookup conditional on a non-blank helper column, and you manually type data into that column which obviates the vlookup activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cox

  3. #3

    Re: Data Validation

    Maybe you can use 3 cells.

    cell one for the manual override (say A1)
    cell two for the data retrieved from the CSV file (say B1)

    and change your formula in the 3rd cell to point at the the correct cell:

    =vlookup(if(a1<>"",a1,b1),yourtable,yourcolumn,false)