Moving rows to sequential position on another sheet

  1. #1
    suffolk uk

    Moving rows to sequential position on another sheet

    Do hope someone can help me with this. I am not sure whether a function would do the job, or whether it requires a macro.

    I need to be able to have a button set up so that when a row has been entered it can then be clicked on, and a copy of that row will be put on another sheet.

    The rows on the second sheet should be in sequence order - latest last. The row on the first sheet would be overwritten each time an entry was required, and the second sheet would have a summary of all rows entered.

    Hope that's clear, does Offset come into the solution somewhere?

  2. #2
    FSt1
    Guest

    RE: Moving rows to sequential position on another sheet

    hi,
    assumption:
    1.data will be entered on row2 sheet1
    2.Data will be transfers to sheet2
    3.the world is not flat

    Rows("2:2").Copy Destination:= _
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A65000").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)

    edit to fit your data.

    regards
    FSt1

  3. #3
    BizMark
    Guest

    Re: Moving rows to sequential position on another sheet

    Well, let's assume that your data entry row is in Sheet1, in Row 2 (to
    allow headings in Row 1) and that your summary is to go in Sheet2,

    You could attach a macro like this to a button next to the entry row:

    Sub CopyDataRow
    nInputRow = 2
    nOutputRowStarts = 2

    nRowsLogged =
    Sheet2.Cells(nOutputRowStarts,1).CurrentRegion.Rows.Count

    for each xCell in Sheet1.Rows(nInputRow).Cells
    Sheet2.Cells(nRowsLogged + 1,xCell.Column) = xCell.value
    next xCell

    BizMark

  4. #4
    suffolk uk

    Can't quite get this to work?

    Thanks for your help with this, but when I try to run this I get a syntax error. I am not familiar with Visual Basic, so not sure what likely problems could be. Would it be possible for you to check my coding - copied below

    Sub CopyDataRow()
    nInputRow = 2
    nOutputRowStarts = 2

    nRowsLogged =
    Sheet2.Cells(nOutputRowStarts, 1).CurrentRegion.Rows.Count

    For Each xCell In Sheet1.Rows(nInputRow).Cells
    Sheet2.Cells(nRowsLogged + 1, xCell.Column) = xCell.Value
    Next xCell

    End Sub

    Is that all coding or is any of it a comment, as I say not sure about all the fine detail. Dim or what!

    Jenno

  5. #5
    BizMark

    Jenno Wrote:
    > Thanks for your help with this, but when I try to run this I get a
    > syntax error. I am not familiar with Visual Basic, so not sure what
    > likely problems could be. Would it be possible for you to check my
    > coding - copied below
    >
    > Sub CopyDataRow()
    > nInputRow = 2
    > nOutputRowStarts = 2
    >
    > nRowsLogged =
    > Sheet2.Cells(nOutputRowStarts, 1).CurrentRegion.Rows.Count
    >
    > For Each xCell In Sheet1.Rows(nInputRow).Cells
    > Sheet2.Cells(nRowsLogged + 1, xCell.Column) = xCell.Value
    > Next xCell
    >

    > End Sub
    >
    > Is that all coding or is any of it a comment, as I say not sure about
    > all the fine detail. Dim or what!
    >
    > Jenno
    >

    > --
    > Jenno
    > Jenno's Profile:
    > View this thread:
    > http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=395283

    Hmmm. I tried copying and pasting it into a module (I admit I just
    wrote it straight into the forum, I didn't test it) and it worked fine
    for me.
    One thing though is that it assumed that the Headings were already in
    Row 2.
    I tightened up the code to make sure this happens and also copies the
    cells in one hit, as follows:

    Sub CopyDataRow()
    nInputRow = 2
    nOutputRowStarts = 2

    If Range("Sheet2!A1").Text = "" Then
    Sheet2.Rows(1).EntireRow.Cells.Value = _
    Sheet1.Rows(1).EntireRow.Cells.Value
    End If
    nRowsLogged = Sheet2.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion.Rows.Count

    Sheet2.Rows(nRowsLogged + 1).EntireRow.Cells.Value = _
    Sheet1.Rows(nInputRow).Cells.Value

    BizMark

    --
    BizMark

  6. #6
    suffolk uk
    Thank you so much, it worked perfectly. When I tried the first version I admit I probably didn't have any headings on the 1st row.

    I had spent ages fiddling about with a macro someone else had written in another spreadsheet, but couldn't sort out the coding. I can follow the logic, but that's about it.

    Thanks again for your help

    Jenno