Lists - HELP!!

  1. #1
    Kelly
    Guest

    Lists - HELP!!

    Okay I am new to excell bar drawing little spreadsheets to do my own financing.
    I am currently setting up a sheet and need the users to be able to select
    from a list of options only and not input thier own text - does that make
    sense?
    also i ahve 12 names on the list and one master with all on - would like the
    data entered on to a names list to be automatically entered onto the master
    or vice versa which ever is easiest.
    sorry if this sounds jumbled but i am totally lost and this has to look
    really hot for work!

    regards

    Kelly - England

  2. #2
    Hi Kerry,

    don't know a great deal on forms etc but thought I'd try seen as you haven't had a reply..

    This is the most simple way that I can see to do it, there's probably a better way though.

    If you put your list of names in the first column, make sure its got a header too in the first row, just call it Names or something, and then click one of the names, go to Data>Forms The list will then come up in the forms window, you can scroll through them using Next and Previous, and you can add names to the list by clicking New, then just type the name in and press enter.

    you need the forms box open all the time to view the list though. If you want you can select the rows with the names in and hide them so it looks a bit cleaner, when you open the forms box (Data>forms) you need to have either the header or one of the names selected, so if the rows are hidden you'll need to select the header.

    Hope this helps, let me know if it does or not, I'll keep on looking into it.

    Mark. (also England)

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Lists - HELP!!

    For your first need, try Data Validation:
    I don't know about your second.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Lists - HELP!!

    You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists of options. There
    are instructions in Excel's Help, and here:

    It would be easiest to just have a master list, and keep all the
    information on one sheet. Then, use filters or pivot tables to view the
    data for one or more names. There's information on both topics in
    Excel's Help, and here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

    --
    Debra Dalgleish