Double-clicking cell with =A1 no longer takes you to A1 in v2003?

  1. #1

    Question Double-clicking cell with =A1 no longer takes you to A1 in v2003?

    I have a co-worker who tells me he used to be able to any cell and make it equal another using the "=A1" type of syntax -- and then when he'd double-click it, it would take him to cell A1. However, he says he cannot do it in v2003.

    Anyone know how to turn this feature on/off or know an alternative? Apparently it drives him crazy!

    ~Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

    TX!!

  2. #2
    StinkeyPete
    Guest

    RE: Double-clicking cell with =A1 no longer takes you to A1 in v2003?

    ITry this:

    On the cell that contains "=A1"
    Insert>Hyperlink>Bookmark and type in the cell reference A1.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Double-clicking cell with =A1 no longer takes you to A1 in v2003?

    In Tools>Options>Edit uncheck "edit directly in cell".

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Double-clicking cell with =A1 no longer takes you to A1 in v2003?

    Is this group good or what? I never knew that!

    But ... what possible reason can there be for such a feature?

    Bob

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Double-clicking cell with =A1 no longer takes you to A1 in v2003?

    It's great Bob, when you're working on formulas that span different WBs.
    It'll take you to referenced cells, and even if the other WB is closed,
    it'll open them for you.

    However, I prefer to edit directly in the cells, so I *don't* disable this
    option (edit directly in cell) to obtain this functionality.
    I use the alternate
    <Ctrl> < [ >

    And when they're on the same sheet
    <Ctrl> < ] >
    to travel back and forth between referenced cells.

    RD

  6. #6
    Wow! He's right -- you *are* good!

    Thanks much for your help -- I'd searched the MS Knowledge Base, google, etc. and couldn't turn up anything. I 'specially like your alternate version!

    Thanks a billion!

    Lee

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Double-clicking cell with =A1 no longer takes you to A1 in v2003?

    Thanks for the feed-back.

    RD