hyperlink to file

  1. #1

    hyperlink to file

    This week I have changed from excel 1997 to 2003. When I press on my hyperlink to a file I get the message "the address from this site is not valid. Check the address and try again (in dutch)" When ik correct my hyperlink-address again, it works again, but when I SAVE the file the hyperlink adjust again and I get the same message.

    The hyperlink changes from:

    L:\publicaties\bibliotheek\accreditaties_certificaties\I006-RvA certificaat zwartwit (uk).pdf

    to:

    ../../BESTAND/publicaties/bibliotheek/accreditaties_certificaties/I006-RvA certificaat zwartwit (uk).pdf

    verandering van \ naar / ?

    L: is our server...

    Thanks,
    Corne

  2. #2

    Re: hyperlink to file

    Some people have reported that changing the base hyperlink address sometimes
    fixes the problem.

    File|Properties|summary tab
    Hyperlink base: c:\

    Personally, I like to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function. I find them
    easier to change:

    =hyperlink("file:////" & "L:\thatlongpath\file.pdf","Click me")

    or even with that longpathfilename in an adjacent cell:

    =hyperlink("file:////" & a12,"click me")

    (and I've never seen the addresses in the =hyperlink() function change
    magically!)

  3. #3
    Dave,
    thanks for the reply. Your answer worked. I have changed my hyperlink base to L:\ (our server). Now after saving still the hyperlink address changes "magically", but with the hyperlink base it works.

    Still I like to now how your other proposal works. Can you please help me with it? Where do I place "=hyperlink() worksheet function"? I must fill in the path and what must I fill in at "file:////"?

    thanks,
    corne

  4. #4

    Re: hyperlink to file

    Say you have your long file name in A12.

    Then in B12, put this:

    =hyperlink("http:////" & a12,"Click me")

    You can use any cell, but I like to use adjacent cells. It makes it easier to
    see what's going on.

    In fact, if the path is always the same, you could put that in A1:
    L:\publicaties\bibliotheek\accreditaties_certificaties\

    Then just put the filename (w/o the path) in A12:
    I006-RvA certificaat zwartwit (uk).pdf

    And this in B12
    =hyperlink("http:////" & $a$1 & a12,"click me")

    then if the path changes, you fix A1 and all the formulas get updated.