Help Please

  1. #1

    Help Please

    Im trying to decide which is best, to create a macro (with some assistance) or to just create links from cells to a new file. Heres what I have. Ill be working with a new file; Ill call C.
    I need to link values from certain cells from file A and file B into file C. File A contains a months worth of data, each day being on a separate sheet.
    File B contains data for only one day, and is saved as todays date each day.
    The new File, C will incorporate data from each of these files and will be saved daily also as todays date.

    In summary, Ill be working with a new file actually called
    Dailyproduction/08-16-05.This file will be saved each day using subsequent dates as its file name.
    This file will need info from cells in a file called FieldProduction/Aug05, sheet16 , and will also need info from some cells in a file called PlantProduction08-16-05
    Im a novice to macros. Im wondering if I should simply create a template with links to each cell from its connected file ,then do a find/replace to change the links for the next days file, for example, for the next days file, change the link from FieldProduction/Aug05, sheet16 to FieldProduction/Aug05, sheet17 , etc.
    Seems this would be the long way around but Im drawing a blank with my limited knowledge in Macros.
    Id appreciate the help-Greg

  2. #2
    Rowan
    Guest

    RE: Help Please

    One way you could do this without macros is to use the INDIRECT function.

    In workbook "C" you could have the formula
    =INDIRECT("["&A1&".xls]Sheet1!$B$5").
    If you enter the name of the file you want to link to in A1 this will return
    the value of cell B5 on Sheet1 in the workbook named in cell A1. To change
    the file you want to link to you only have to change the name in cell A1.

    Note: INDIRECT only works if the file you are referencing is open.

    Hope this helps
    Rowan