using item#s to link cells

  1. #1

    using item#s to link cells

    Hi guys,

    I am trying to create a worksheet that requires an specific item# to be entered into a cell, which has values attached/linked to this.

    for example:

    if a user enters a drivers license number in one cell (blank, no dropdowns), then the Name, birthdate, and any other data that is linked to that number appears in designated cells.

    All the drivers license numbers are stored on on sheet 2 with their Names and birthdates. I need to pull this info into sheet 1 by entering a drivers license number...

    I hope this makes sense...

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianRelic
    Hi guys,

    I am trying to create a worksheet that requires an specific item# to be entered into a cell, which has values attached/linked to this.

    for example:

    if a user enters a drivers license number in one cell (blank, no dropdowns), then the Name, birthdate, and any other data that is linked to that number appears in designated cells.

    All the drivers license numbers are stored on on sheet 2 with their Names and birthdates. I need to pull this info into sheet 1 by entering a drivers license number...

    I hope this makes sense...

    Thanks
    Hi Indian Relic

    Try using the VLOOKUP function

    Assuming the page you type the licence numbers in has a header row, and you are going to enter the first licence # in cell A2 then in cell B2 enter the following formula >

    =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A:$X,2,0) - where A2 is the cell you've typed the licence # in, Sheet1! is the name of the worksheet containing all the data, $A:$X is the range of cells containing the Name< Address etc that you want to bring to Sheet1, 2 is the first column in the data you want it to look at and the 0 makes the formula look for exact matches

    Then for the next piece of data use the same formula, changing the 2 for a 3 and so on
    Paul

  3. #3
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: using item#s to link cells

    This can easily be accomplished with Vlookup or a combination of Index and
    Match, depending on the configuration of your data list on Sheet2.

    Post back with column locations of your data in the main list for some
    suggestions.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

    --
    IndianRelic
    IndianRelic's Profile:

  4. #4

    Thumbs up

    this makes sense guys, thanks a ton for your help

    cheers