Combined & Sorted Text Fields

  1. #1

    Angry Combined & Sorted Text Fields

    I have 12 columns of Letters that need to be combined into one cell in the correct alphabetical order. Eg. Column 1 may have C whilst column 2 has B and so on. I need the last column to sort the letters alphabetically so it would be simply BC in the last cell.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: Combined & Sorted Text Fields

    You could select the range containing your data and the sort alphabetically.
    Then add each cell (=A1&B1&C1 etc) to get your last column entry. Sorting is
    normally done by column but if use choose the Options button, you can change
    the orientaion of sorting from "top to bottom" to "left to right"

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Combined & Sorted Text Fields

    andy

    Select the rows and Data>Sort>Options>Sort left to right>OK>Ascending.

    In row 1 column 13 enter =A1&B1&C1&D1 etc.

    Drag/copy that formula down column 13.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Herbert Seidenberg
    Guest

    Re: Combined & Sorted Text Fields

    If you don't want to sort each row separately and want the results to
    be dynamic, do this:
    Name your data array DARRY.Use Insert>Name>Define
    Also define the following names:
    VARY2 = CODE(INDEX(DARRY,ROWD,))
    VARY3 = SMALL(VARY2,VARY5)
    VARY4 = CHAR(VARY3)
    VARY5 = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12}
    ROWD = ROW()-ROW(DARRY)+1
    In your last column enter
    =INDEX(VARY4,1)&INDEX(VARY4,2)&..........&INDEX(VARY4,12)
    and copy down. Do not mix upper and lower case letters in DARRY.