LINEST, LOGEST, GROWTH or TREND??

  1. #1
    NlCO
    Guest

    LINEST, LOGEST, GROWTH or TREND??

    Hi all, I need to get the R2 statistic of a formula like this

    f(t) = a + b*c^t

    I've tried with LINEST(Range Y,LN(Range X),,TRUE) then the array three cells down and it should appear, but the numbers I get applies only to:

    f(t) = b*c^t

    Anybody knows how to get the real value or the R2 in any other way?

    Thanks NlCO
    Last edited by NlCO; 08-23-2005 at 06:34 AM.

  2. #2
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: LINEST, LOGEST, GROWTH or TREND??

    You have not said what is known and what must be estimated here. Based
    on getting a result using your LINEST formula, I assume that c is known
    and a,b, & t must be estimated. That would make the problem nonlinear
    in the unknowns. Excel has no functionality to natively fit such
    functions. You could use Solver to approximately minimize the sum of
    squared deviations by changing trial values of a,b, & t.

    Once you have values for a,b, & t, R2 would be
    =DEVSQ(a+b*c_range^t)/DEVSQ(y_range)
    which must be array entered (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) because of the
    calculation in the numerator.

    Jerry