Numbers won't right-align

  1. #1
    LurfysMa
    Guest

    Numbers won't right-align

    I have a fairly simple spreadsheet with 30-40 calculatrions.

    Some of the results appear to have a space on the right hand end. Most
    of these are calculations, but some are literal numbers. Some are
    formatted as currency and some as numbers.

    The right justify button doesn't help.

    I have checked all of the formatting parameters I can think of.

    Can anyone suggest what is going on here?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    CURRENCY format places a slight indent on the right hand end of a number. The NUMBER format does the same thing. GENERAL format shoves the number hard up against the right hand end, but it is possible to move this using the INDENT option under the ALIGNMENT tab under the FORMAT option for that cell.
    I'm not sure which result you're after, but if you have currency formats in there, then it sounds as if you'd prefer everything to have the slight indent. If this is the case, then format everything else to NUMBER and they should line up

    Cheers
    Jon

  3. #3
    LurfysMa
    Guest

    Re: Numbers won't right-align

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 04:59:59 -0500, Jon Quixley
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >CURRENCY format places a slight indent on the right hand end of a
    >number. The NUMBER format does the same thing. GENERAL format shoves
    >the number hard up against the right hand end, but it is possible to
    >move this using the INDENT option under the ALIGNMENT tab under the
    >FORMAT option for that cell.

    All of the cells are formatted with either Currency or Number. None of
    them are General. Most of the Currency-formatted cells are indented,
    but some are flush right. Most of the Number-formatted cells are flush
    right, but some are indented. The indenting is consistent across a
    row.

    Is there a way to get the Currency and Number formats to omit that
    right hand space?

    >I'm not sure which result you're after, but if you have currency
    >formats in there, then it sounds as if you'd prefer everything to have
    >the slight indent. If this is the case, then format everything else to
    >NUMBER and they should line up

    I want everything to be flush right -- no extra spaces.

    Here is one column of my table. For all cells, the alignment is
    "General". I also tried flush right -- same result.

    Use a monospace font to see alignment:

    1,000 Number, 0 decimal places, comma separator
    $20,000 Currency, 0 decimal places, $ symbol
    $1,250 Currency, 0 decimal places, $ symbol
    2,000 Number, 0 decimal places, comma separator
    $2,000 Currency, 0 decimal places, $ symbol
    0.2 Number, 1 decimal place, no separator
    $6 Currency, 0 decimal places, $ symbol
    $3,256 Currency, 0 decimal places, $ symbol
    $16,744 Currency, 0 decimal places, $ symbol
    $200,928 Currency, 0 decimal places, $ symbol

    As you can see, some of the Currency-formatted cells are indented and
    some are flush right. I can't find any difference in any of the
    formatting settings.

    All of the Number-formatted cells are flush right in this table, but
    there is another table where a couple of them are indented.

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Numbers won't right-align

    The Number format has no right space
    The Accounting format (what you get with the $ tool) has a right space
    The Currency format (Format|Cells|Currency has no right spaces)

    Make a cell Accounting with the $ (or your currency tool)
    Select it and use Format | Style. Can you see where the space comes from?
    Look at _-$* #,##0.00_; its that final underscore that makes the space.
    You could modify your Currency tool style to get rid of the spaces in all
    three parts of the format specs

    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    LurfysMa
    Guest

    Re: Numbers won't right-align

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:57:57 -0300, "Bernard Liengme"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The Number format has no right space

    On this spreadsheet, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.
    Unless there is something that I don't understand -- always a good
    possibility.

    >The Accounting format (what you get with the $ tool) has a right space
    >The Currency format (Format|Cells|Currency has no right spaces)

    Again, some (cells) do and some don't. It doesn't seem to matter
    whether I use "Format | Cells | Currency" or right-click on the
    cell(s), select Format Cells, and then select Currency.

    >Make a cell Accounting with the $ (or your currency tool)
    >Select it and use Format | Style. Can you see where the space comes from?
    >Look at _-$* #,##0.00_; its that final underscore that makes the space.

    OK. I selected a cell, clicked on the "$" tool, entered "123", and hit
    Enter. It formatted as "$123.00".

    I then clicked on Format|Style and got the Style panel. The Style name
    is "Currency". The Number option is checked and there is a complicated
    template with four parts. They are (unless I made a typo):

    _($* #,##0.00_);_($* #,##0.00_);_($* "-"??_);_(@_)

    The first 3 have a trailing "_", which is what I think you are talking
    about. Right?

    As an aside, I thought the formatting had just 3 parts: >0, <0, =0.
    What's the 4th part "_(@_)" for?

    So that looks like what you are describing.

    Now I repeated this on one of the cells in my spreadsheet that is
    acting up. When I clicked on Format|Style and get the Style panel, the
    Style name is "Normal" and there is no format string as above.

    >You could modify your Currency tool style to get rid of the spaces in all
    >three parts of the format specs

    How do I do that? I tried the Modify button in the Style panel, but I
    couldn't find anywhere to get at the format string.

    >best wishes

    Thanks.

    PS: I am using Excel 2000 (SP3) if that makes a difrference.

    --
    Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

  6. #6
    LurfysMa
    Guest

    Re: Numbers won't right-align

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:14:24 -0700, LurfysMa <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a fairly simple spreadsheet with 30-40 calculatrions.
    >
    >Some of the results appear to have a space on the right hand end. Most
    >of these are calculations, but some are literal numbers. Some are
    >formatted as currency and some as numbers.
    >
    >The right justify button doesn't help.
    >
    >I have checked all of the formatting parameters I can think of.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest what is going on here?
    >
    >Thanks

    I discovered the problem. It really has nothing to do with some format
    styles adding a trailing space and others not. It has to do with which
    format is selected for negative numbers.

    Somehow, some of my cells were changed so that negative numbers were
    to be formatted in parentheses "(1234.56)". Since that involves a
    character (the closing parenthesis) after the number, the style adds a
    trailing space for positive numbers -- I presume so that they will
    align in nice columns.

    I didn't notice that difference when I was comparing cells that did
    have the space with those that didn't.

    All I had to do was select the cells with trailing spaces and select
    the first negative number option (-1234.56) and all of the trailing
    spaces disappeared.

    My copy of Excel seems to have the default formatting style for
    negative numbers set to (1234.56) for both the Number and the Currency
    formats. Is there some way that I can change that default so that when
    I select either Number or Currency formatting, negative numbers
    default to being formatted as "-1234.56"?

    Thanks

    I suppose one could argue that

    --
    Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000