The IF function

  1. #1
    Emma
    Guest

    The IF function

    How can i use the IF funvction to find the highest value, from a list of 19
    values?

  2. #2
    Don't use if for that. Use =max(A1:A19) or something like that.

    Szalapski

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: The IF function

    Emma,

    You don't need an IF function. Instead, use the MAX function.
    E.g.,

    =MAX(A1:A19)

    will return the largest value in cells A1:A19.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ray A
    Guest

    RE: The IF function

    Why IF?
    Assuming values in range A1:A19
    =max(A1:A19)
    HTH

  5. #5
    Emma
    Guest

    RE: The IF function

    I'm currently doing a course and it is in one of the exercises, and it
    states that i have to use IF

  6. #6
    Emma
    Guest

    Re: The IF function

    Chip,
    Is it not possible to use the IF function, it's just that I am currently
    studying for a microsoft office certification and one of the exercises is to
    use the IF function in order to do it?

  7. #7
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: The IF function

    Hi Emma
    The other guys have given you the simplest and neatest answer.
    However, knowing some tutors, they throw in a question to see if you can
    think around it.

    Try this

    =IF(A1:A19="","",MAX(A1:A19))

    HTH
    Michael Mitchelson

  8. #8
    Henry
    Guest

    Re: The IF function

    Emma,

    How about
    =IF(MAX(A1:A10)>MAX(A11:A19),MAX(A1:A10),MAX(A11:A19))

    It uses an IF function, but I don't think it's the answer the questioner is
    looking for :-)

    Henry

  9. #9
    Um, shouldn't you just ask whomever is in charge of your certification? It sounds like you are trying to get test answers.

    Szalapski

  10. #10
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: The IF function

    > =IF(A1:A19="","",MAX(A1:A19))

    Returns #VALUE! for me becuse the array A1:A19 cannot resolve to TRUE/FALSE

    =IF(COUNT(A1:A19)=0,"",MAX(A1:A19))

    would do what you are suggesting

    HTH

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11

    Re: The IF function

    Emma,

    I understand that if the assignment asks you to use IF(),
    you "must" use IF(), even though MAX() seems to be the
    better choice. You might want to ask your instructor
    (if you have one) what they are looking for and why.

    Michael wrote:
    > However, knowing some tutors, they throw in a question
    > to see if you can think around it. Try this
    > =IF(A1:A19="","",MAX(A1:A19))

    Dovetailing what Michael said, perhaps the following is
    something like what the assignment is looking for:

    =IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(A1:A19)),"",MAX(A1:A19))

    The point is: create a formula that will display the
    max without ever incurring an error. It's called
    "bullet-proofing", and it is certainly a useful ability
    for a professional to learn.

  12. #12
    Emma
    Guest

    Thank you

    Thank you all for your help. I'm glad i found this site now.
    Will give your solutions a try in the morning.
    Thanks Again. :-)