Opening multiple files separately

  1. #1

    Opening multiple files separately

    When opening multiple excel files they used to all open in separate versions of Excel which was great because then I could easily Alt-Tab between them. Now all of a sudden when ever I open new excel files by double clicking the name they open in the same Excel program but as a separate window. This is a real pain because it's hard to cycle through them and they keep minimizing whenever I maximize another one.

    I haven't changed any settings that I know of, is there a way to get each file to open separately again?

  2. #2

    Re: Opening multiple files separately

    You sure you just didn't have:

    Tools|options|View|Windows in taskbar checked.

    (It's only one instance of excel, but you can have multiple icons on the windows
    taskbar.)

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Opening multiple files separately

    pjyelton,

    You can use Ctrl-Tab to cycle through them, or in later version of Excel,
    Tools - Options - View - Windows in Taskbar.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    "pjyelton" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Thanks, that worked! I never unchecked that option, but our work did a lot of updates on these computers so maybe somehow it got unchecked that way.

  5. #5
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Opening multiple files separately

    Pjyelton replied to my reply, but "Message is longer on the server." Anyone
    else see his reply? Others have seen similar things going in in the
    newsgroups lately.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: Opening multiple files separately

    It's there this morning (morning for me):

    Thanks, that worked! I never unchecked that option, but our work did a
    lot of updates on these computers so maybe somehow it got unchecked
    that way.

    Sometimes if you disconnect from the server (I close my newsreader) and then
    wait a bit, then retry, it'll show up.