Can't stop Excel re-calculating on opening - hmmm...

  1. #1

    Can't stop Excel re-calculating on opening - hmmm...

    Hello all - have searched the boards to death but I'm still getting this issue - help massively appreciated

    I have a large "calculations" spreadsheet which needs to open some CSV files. I have the code sorted to do all that, e.g.

    then I do this code just to open a file - it's a CSV file which opens directly:
    Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
    "L:\FTP_ROOT\RISK_TST\Reports\rpt_013_liabilities.c sv"

    then the code goes on to do some calcs and so on...

    There are about 5 sheets to open and then later close.

    THE PROBLEM: Excel calculates the WHOLE CALCULATIONS spreadsheet when I open the CSV file, even though calculation is off. I can only assume this is part of the way that I've opened the file. :-S

    Please help - it takes Soooooo long to recalculate the entire spreadsheet now and what I do with the rest of the very long macro is to make it calculate only the sections it needs - ie range("x").calculate or sheets("y").calculate and so on. This bit works fine though.

    So - how do I make a CSV file open without recalculating?

    Thanks so much for your help
    Last edited by gearoi; 08-25-2005 at 10:48 AM. Reason: more useful title

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Can't stop Excel re-calculating on opening - hmmm...

    g,

    Take a look at what Charles Williams has to say...
    http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretse.htm

    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    "gearoi"