Sum from top

  1. #1
    kelmonster
    Guest

    Sum from top

    Does anyone know how I can set up a sum feature from the top row and have it
    calculate all the numbers in the column as I enter them without have to
    highlight the entire col. when I enter =SUM(...)? Is there a formula I can
    enter? Right now I'm having to enter=SUM(highlight the entire column).
    --
    kel

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by kelmonster
    Does anyone know how I can set up a sum feature from the top row and have it
    calculate all the numbers in the column as I enter them without have to
    highlight the entire col. when I enter =SUM(...)? Is there a formula I can
    enter? Right now I'm having to enter=SUM(highlight the entire column).
    --
    kel
    Hi kel

    Try Sum(A2:A65536)
    Paul

  3. #3

    Re: Sum from top

    I'd use:
    =sum(c2:c65536)

    well, for column C.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Sum from top

    Probably not good enough, but I'll offer it anyway.

    Select a range of cells to put the numbers in. Then just start entering the
    numbers, you will see the SUM totting up to the right of the status bar, it
    will say SUM=nn

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    JR
    Guest

    RE: Sum from top

    In your "=sum()", just make your last number well below where you think you
    will stop on the spreadsheet, or just enter 65536 as the last number in your
    formula.

  6. #6

    Re: Sum from top

    kelmonster wrote:
    > Does anyone know how I can set up a sum feature from the top row and have it
    > calculate all the numbers in the column as I enter them without have to
    > highlight the entire col. when I enter =SUM(...)?

    Put =SUM(A:A) into B1, for example.

    One problem: you will not see B1 after you
    enter so many values in column A that row 1
    rolls off the top.

  7. #7

    Re: Sum from top

    Bob Phillips wrote:
    > Probably not good enough, but I'll offer it anyway.
    > Select a range of cells to put the numbers in. Then just start entering the
    > numbers, you will see the SUM totting up to the right of the status bar, it
    > will say SUM=nn

    I suspect this is exactly what the OP wants.
    But it does not seem to work for me. When I
    highlight column A (by clicking on the "A"
    title), I see the sum in the lower right.
    But the sum disappears as soon as I click on
    a cell to continue entering into the column.
    Of course, I can click on the column again.
    But that is not exactly the same as "seeing
    the SUM tottin up" as I enter values into
    column A. Am I doing something wrong?

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Sum from top

    You don't then click on a cell.

    Just select the cells to input and start typing. Each time you hit Enter, it
    moves onto the next cell with all still selected.

    RP

  9. #9
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Sum from top

    Kel,

    One way is to put =SUM(A5:A65536) somewhere in A1 through A4 (this is an
    example, where I've reserved rows 1-4 for heading stuff. Then freeze rows
    1-4 (Window - Freeze pane) so it's always visible as you put more stuff in
    the column(s) and start auto-scrolling down. Some people get all twitchy
    and irritable at the thought of putting totals at the top, but it actually
    works very well.

    You don't want to use SUM(A:A) if the formula is actually in column A,
    because the sum cell would be included in the cells being summed, causing a
    circular reference.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

  10. #10
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Sum from top

    Just to add to Earl's excellent suggestion, I also tend to exactly the ame
    thing, but instead of SUM i use SUBTOTAL.
    That way, if I apply any Filters to the data, I see the total for just the
    selected (visible) rows, but get the whole column total again as soon as I
    take the filter off.
    =SUBTOTAL(9,A5:A65536)
    --
    Regards