different color:Formatting Cells

  1. #1
    Scott
    Guest

    different color:Formatting Cells

    I would like to search a column for cells containg certain text and then
    formatting those cells a different color. How do I go about doing this?

    Thanks for your help!!

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I would like to search a column for cells containg certain text and then
    formatting those cells a different color. How do I go about doing this?

    Thanks for your help!!
    Hi Scott

    Use Conditional Formatting

    Select the range of cells containing your data, then Format > Conditional Formatting, in the boxes for Condition 1, leave the first as Cell Value is, chnage the second box to equal to, in the third box enter the text you want to find, then click the format button and choose the formats you want and click OK
    Paul

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    re: different color:Formatting Cells

    The feature you're looking for is called "Conditional Formatting"......do
    Format > Conditional Formatting and follow the menus......check "Help" and/or
    post back if you have problems or specific questions about it.....

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Scott
    Guest

    re: different color:Formatting Cells

    Thanks that worked. Is there a way to look for partial text within a range
    of cells and have the format changed if it contains that text or does it
    always have to be an exact match?

    Thanks again!