paste negative time with PasteSpecial

  1. #1

    paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    Hello,

    how can I caste an degative time for excample -5:00 from one excel sheet to a other sheet.

    When I paste "-5:00", I'll get "-0,208333333333"

    Currently, I use the PateSpecial-Function, xlPasteValues.

    What con I do?

    Regards,

    Sylvian

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    Your result is 5 hours as a proportion of a day displayed as a number, but I
    don't see how you get a negative time in the first place. Negative times are
    displayed as ####### in Excel.
    --
    Ian

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    XL has no problem displaying negative times using the 1904 date system
    (MacXL default) - choose Tools/Custom/Calculation, check the 1904 Date
    system checkbox.

  4. #4
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    I didn't realise that. Thanks for the pointer. However, I still can't get
    negative times to display as negative numbers. -05:00:00 is shown in the
    formula bar, but 05:00:00 appears in the cell (Windows XL 2002).

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    Sylvian,

    Presumably, you're using PasteSpecial - Values because it's a formula you've
    copied, and you want the result, not the formula. If so, it's not pasting
    the time formatting. So you're getting the time value, unformatted. Add
    PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats after your PasteSpecial xlPasteValues.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

  6. #6

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    I used a custom format of:
    hh:mm:ss

    and the negative time showed up nicely.

    What's the numberformat for your cell?

  7. #7
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    Ah, that was it. I was using the default time format, which appears to be
    the only one with this problem. However I can't input a -ve time eg -5:00. I
    can only get the negative time by entering a -ve number then changing the
    format to time.

    I'm not too worried about this as I've never needed a -ve time. I'm just
    curious s to why there are these quirks.
    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    you could use:

    =-time(5,0,0)

  9. #9
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    Thanks. That works a treat.

    --
    Ian

  10. #10
    Hello,

    how can I paste an negative time for excample -5:00 from one excel sheet to a other sheet.

    When I paste "-5:00", I'll get “#############” which is equal to "-0,208333333333"

    Currently, I use the PateSpecial-Function, xlPasteValues.

    What can I do? Where is my mistake?

    XL has no problem displaying negative times using the 1904 date system
    (MacXL default) - choose Tools/Custom/Calculation, check the 1904 Date… I don’t find this!

    When I use PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats after PasteSpecial xlPasteValues. It is not working.

    When I use a custom format of:
    hh:mm:ss, It is also not working out.

    Regards,

    Sylvian

  11. #11

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    Are the sheets in the same workbook or different workbooks?

    If they're in different workbooks, then remember you'll have to toggle that
    setting under:

    Tools|options|calculation tab|check "1904 date system"

    before you can format that negative time to look nice.

  12. #12
    Well the question I have is how do you program it not to be a negative number?

    If I have a column with -3,-67,-80 etc. What is the VBA code to put them all to positives? ie 3,67,80 etc?

    Thanks

  13. #13

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    You could loop through the cells.

    Or (manually) put -1 in an empty cell
    edit|copy (that cell)
    select your range of negative numbers
    edit|pastespecial|check multiply
    clear the contents of that helper cell.

    (record a macro when you do it once)

    Or to loop:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Dim myRng As Range
    Dim myCell As Range

    Set myRng = Selection

    For Each myCell In myRng.Cells
    If IsEmpty(myCell) Then
    'do nothing
    Else
    If IsNumeric(myCell.Value) Then
    If myCell.Value < 0 Then
    myCell.Value = -1 * myCell.Value
    Next myCell

    End Sub

    Select your range and run the macro.

  14. #14
    That is all very logiacl and makes sense.

    Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated.

    Fastbike

  15. #15

    Unhappy Sorry, I forgot!

    The sheets are in the same workbook or different workbooks!

    First: I copy the data

    Second: I open a new workbook

    Third: Paste the data

    Pasting positive times is working perfect, but the negative ones...

    Best Regards,

    Sylvian

  16. #16
    Forum Contributor kraljb's Avatar
    Illinois
    MS-Off Ver
    2007 (recent change)
    For the guy who wanted to know how to change negative to posative numbers...

    You can always use the ABS() function to give you the absolute value of any number... i.e. ABS(-234) returns 234 and ABS(234) returns 234 as well.

    Just another path to the same goal

  17. #17
    Hello Dave,

    I don’ want to convert the negative time into a positive one!

    Sylvian

  18. #18
    Worksheet1.Range("a7:q39").Copy

    Dim sName As String
    sName = "d:\…\" & Worksheet1.tbName.Value & ".xls"
    Workbooks.Open sName

    ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Name =Worksheet1.tbName.Value

    If Worksheet1.Range("o5").Value = "01.05.2005" Then
    Worksheet1.paste Destination:=ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("a160")
    With ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet
    .Range("a160").PasteSpecial paste:=xlPasteValues
    .Range("a160").PasteSpecial paste:=xlPasteFormats
    End With

  19. #19

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    Make sure both workbooks use the same base date (1904).

    Tools|options|calculation tab

    maybe...I'm not sure what the problem is.

  20. #20

    1904 Date System

    Thank's to all it is working

    But, How can I program a macro which opens a workbook and inserts the 1904-DateFormat automatically?

    Sylvian

  21. #21

    Re: paste negative time with PasteSpecial

    Before you do this, realize that any dates in your that workbook will be off by
    4 years and one day. And copying a date between workbooks with different base
    dates will screw up that date.

    If you're using a PC, most people use the 1900 base date. If you're using a
    Mac, I think most use the 1904 base date.

    If most people you share work with use the 1900 base date, then I would use this
    very sparingly.

    I recorded a macro and got this salient line:

    ActiveWorkbook.Date1904 = True

    If you want to open a workbook and use this line, you could use a macro like:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()
    Dim wkbk As Workbook
    Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:="C:\my documents\excel\book1.xls")
    wkbk.Date1904 = True
    End Sub

    (Change the name of the workbook to what you need.)

    But once you toggle this setting, it should stay put until someone changes it.
    (I'm not sure I'd use a macro for this.)