Sorting Dates

  1. #1

    Sorting Dates

    I am trying to make a list in which the senioraty order is filled in automatic, and was woundering if there is a function or formula that will do this.

    1 Smith A 24/05/2003 3
    2 Rose M 01/06/1987 2
    3 Brown D 29/12/2005 4
    4 Fisher W 15/10/1976 1

    The Numbers in red donates the senioraty order in which they started. The problem I have is I dont want to alter the rest of the list by sorting function

    Mark

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Mark,

    I assume that you have your dates in a column next to the name and that you do no twant to disturb the order of the date/names. In the next column enter the following formula:

    =rank(b1,$b$1:$b$50,1)

    Where column B contains the date information from B1 to B50 inclusive. The answer you should get is the ranking of the date in cell B1 with respect to all the dates in cells B1 through to B50. Copy this formula down from C1 to C50 (remember to include the dollar signs in the formula !

    Jon

  3. #3
    That just what I need thanks for you help

  4. #4
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Dates

    You appear to have a numeric column at the beginning of each line (column A)
    which will enable you to return to your original order. You can sort on the
    date (column C), fill column D in numeric order, then sort again using
    column A.
    --
    Ian

  5. #5
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Sorting Dates

    Assuming your dates are in B1:B4

    =RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$4,1)

    & copy it down

  6. #6
    Thank you all for your help.......SORTED

  7. #7
    Ian

  8. #8
    Duke Carey