Help with populating cells using formulas or macros

  1. #1

    Help with populating cells using formulas or macros

    Hi,

    I have a problem that I've spent hours working on but even Microsoft customer support has not been any help.

    I'm trying to work with a large data file where the data is grouped into two types. Let's call them A & B. For each day of data, I have two data points, A & B. These are entered next to each other in the same row. It looks something like this:

    A1 B1 A2 B2 A3 B3 ...

    That is, for Day 1, I have data point A and data point B.

    I want to be able to easily group all the "A" data and all the "B" data separately.

    That is, in a separate part of the worksheet, I want to be able to enter a reference for one of the cells, then highlight that cell and drag it across a row so that the value of EVERY OTHER cell in the original data set populates the new row. That is, in my newly populated row, I want to see:

    A1 A2 A3 ....

    I need the data in this format to graph it.

    Can you anyone help?

    Thanks,

    David
    [email protected]
    Last edited by dmsalvay1978; 08-30-2005 at 03:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by dmsalvay1978
[...]

    Hi David

    Select all the data, then Data > Sort > click on the Options button (bottom left), in the Orientation section at the bottom, click left to right, click OK and then choose sort by and click ok
    Paul

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Help with populating cells using formulas or macros

    See the answer to your post in the excel group.

    Please don't "cross-post".

    All groups are read by just about all the same people, so this wastes their
    time, if a post has already been answered or they repeat a similar
    suggestion that might have already been accepted or rejected.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...