adding new x & y values to charts automatically

  1. #1
    Dan_Green
    Guest

    adding new x & y values to charts automatically

    Hi,

    I have a number (approx. 30)of sales charts that each month need to change
    the series for, so that the charts will include the new months sales.

    Is there anyway other than to go into each individual graph, and change the
    series - adding one addition column for the new month ... i.e from A1 to c1
    for January to March to A1 to D1 for January to April.

    If anyone can help - I'd really appreciate it, as this is just too time
    consuming

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Kent, UK
    Take a look at Tushar Mehta's excellent site which has lots of info on dynamic charts (among other things). His is based on the new data being added to a new row but it shouldn't be too hard to change the offset() terms to make it work for additional columns.

    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...rts/index.html

  3. #3
    Dan_Green
    Guest

    Re: adding new x & y values to charts automatically

    Thanks Alex,

    The website seems really useful - I'm sure I'll be able to find the solution
    to this problem there

    Rgds
    Daniel

  4. #4
    Kent, UK
    This might help further:

    Create a named range using Insert Name Define (e.g. call it "Numcols")

    =Offset($a$1,0,0,1,counta($1:$1))

    Then create a further range for each row of data

    =offset(numcols,rownumber,0)

    where row number is the number of rows below row 1 for the data concerned (ie if you want to plot row 2 then rownumber =1.)

    Then plot your charts with the data series as worksheet1!yourdataname and x axis as worksheet1!numcols

    Every time you add a new column to row 1 then all graphs will update and add that column.