Problem with IF function/circular/HELP!

  1. #1

    Problem with IF function/circular/HELP!

    What I want to do seems so simple but it's the only formula on this spreedsheet I can't figure out. I've spent all day on it and it's driving me nuts! Here it is:

    I want (cells not named so I'm using cell id's): D5-G5. If the result is less than or equal to 0 (in other words, if it's a negative number), then I want the field to say 0. If the answer is greater than 0 (in other words a positive number), then I want the field to give the result of D5-G5. (the cell where the result is in is H5)

    I've tried it a few different ways and it never works out. Once I got a circular error?

    PLEASE HELP!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    Type this in H5:

    IF(D5-G5<0,0,D5-G5)

  3. #3
    pdberger
    Guest

    RE: Problem with IF function/circular/HELP!

    smdettloff --

    How about

    =max(0,d5-g5)

  4. #4
    Unfortunately it's still not working. I put the formula in H5 and put small numbers in D5 and G5 just to test it but I'm getting a result of 0 when I should be getting 5.00. I've tried to attach a screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Problem with IF function/circular/HELP!

    If D5 is smaller then G5, then you should get a zero,
    Which is *exactly* what you got.

    Your formula is working correctly!

    You just have to get your mind around your own formula.

    =If(D5-G5<0,0,D5-G5)

    D5 = 5
    G5 = 10
    5 - 10 = -5 Which is *less* then 0
    Makes the first argument TRUE, so the return is 0.

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "smdettloff" <[email protected]> wrote