Closed Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Highlight Cell when value reaches every interval of 500

  1. #1

    Highlight Cell when value reaches every interval of 500

    I have an accumulative value (miles from odometer) entered into a different cell of a column daily. I would like to have the cell background to be highlighted in Red when the miles reach intervals of 500 or the next entry over. This would indicate that the vehicle reauires service.
    Example: 220, 356, 512, 678, 876, 1024, 1344 ...
    The cell containing 512 would be highlighted because it reached another 500 miles. Same with 1024.

    Hope you understand. Please help.

    Thank you

    Walt

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Matchim
    I have an accumulative value (miles from odometer) entered into a different cell of a column daily. I would like to have the cell background to be highlighted in Red when the miles reach intervals of 500 or the next entry over. This would indicate that the vehicle reauires service.
    Example: 220, 356, 512, 678, 876, 1024, 1344 ...
    The cell containing 512 would be highlighted because it reached another 500 miles. Same with 1024.

    Hope you understand. Please help.

    Thank you

    Walt
    Use Format/Conditional formating "formula is" with =INT(A2/500)<>INT(A1/500), A1 being a Non-Number cell and A2 the first cell in your column. Set the color in the Conditional formating window as needed
    Copy A2 format down the column
    Ilan

  3. #3

    under number

    I have a similar question. In my spreadsheet I want it to highlight everything under 100 and the cells already contain formulas. How do you do that?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by jackyg; 09-01-2005 at 01:57 PM.

  4. #4

    Reply-Hightlight Cell when value reaches interval of 500

    Quote Originally Posted by ilanr01
    Use Format/Conditional formating "formula is" with =INT(A2/500)<>INT(A1/500), A1 being a Non-Number cell and A2 the first cell in your column. Set the color in the Conditional formating window as needed
    Copy A2 format down the column
    Ilan
    Works great except that it turns 2 cells Red. (Active and the cell directly below)
    Do I need additional Conditional Formating to turn off highlighted cell.

    Thanks
    Walt

  5. #5

    Re: Highlight Cell when value reaches every interval of 500

    Select your cells
    format|conditional formatting
    cell value is: less than: 100

    Give it a nice format.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Matchim
    Works great except that it turns 2 cells Red. (Active and the cell directly below)
    Do I need additional Conditional Formating to turn off highlighted cell.

    Thanks
    Walt
    Conditional Formating doe's not affect the active cell for being active, it only works when the condition is fulfilled whether the cell is active or not.
    ilan

  7. #7

    Highlight Cell when value reaches each 500

    One Final Question:

    Could you please change the formula to color 1 cell only. (not 2)
    Maybe an IF Statement.

    Walt

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Matchim
    One Final Question:

    Could you please change the formula to color 1 cell only. (not 2)
    Maybe an IF Statement.

    Walt
    The best I came up with is this
    Insert an additional column, say C and enter there =INT(A2/500), A being your data column
    Then change the conditional format formula to:
    =AND(INT(A2/500)<>INT(A1/500),INT(A2/500)=MAX($C$2:$C$8))
    Lines 2 to 8 being your range
    Hope this is what you meant
    Ilan

  9. #9
    Philippines
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Highlight Cell when value reaches every interval of 500

    Is any one can help to do this? I want to highlight the cell every time it reaches to the interval, is it possible?

  10. #10
    Forum Moderator AliGW's Avatar
    Retired in Ipswich, Suffolk, but grew up in Sawley, Derbyshire (England)
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365 Subscription Insider Beta Channel v. 2404 (Windows 11 22H2 64-bit)
    Posts
    80,848

    Re: Highlight Cell when value reaches every interval of 500

    Administrative Note:

    We are happy to help, however whilst you feel your request is similar to this thread, experience has shown that things soon get confusing when answers refer to particular cells/ranges/sheets which are unique to your post and not relevant to the original.

    Please see Forum Rule #4 about hijacking and start a new thread for your query.

    If you are not familiar with how to start a new thread see the FAQ: How to start a new thread
    Ali

    Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel who's always learning!
    Don't forget to say "thank you" in your thread to anyone who has offered you help.
    You can reward them by clicking on * Add Reputation below their user name on the left, if you wish.

    Forum Rules (updated August 2023): please read them here.

Closed Thread