Unwanted Quotes

  1. #1

    Unwanted Quotes

    Ok, I don't think this is possible, but I thought I would ask just in case:

    I have a cell with line breaks (pressing ALT+Enter), but when I try to copy this cell and paste it into another program (like notepad), it adds quotes around the text! Why? I have no idea, but it is quite irritating. Any idea how to stop this?

  2. #2
    If you want to copy it with CTRL+C, I believe you have to clean up the character by clean function.
    e.g. You have text in cell A1 with ALT+ENTER. Then put "=CLEAN(A1)" in cell B1. Then copy from B1 to another program.
    mas
    http://sapass.metro.client.jp - Update SAP data by VBA

  3. #3
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Unwanted Quotes

    With Excel 2003, if you paste into MS Word, you don't get the quotes.
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mas_detokyo
    If you want to copy it with CTRL+C, I believe you have to clean up the character by clean function.
    e.g. You have text in cell A1 with ALT+ENTER. Then put "=CLEAN(A1)" in cell B1. Then copy from B1 to another program.
    mas
    That appears to clean out all the line breaks, which I would like to keep. Thanks for replying though! Any other ideas?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    With Excel 2003, if you paste into MS Word, you don't get the quotes.
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin
    Hmm, unfortunately I don't want to paste it into Word. I suppose I could paste it into word, copy it, and then paste it where I want it, but it would be easier just to remove the quotes after pasting it where I wanted it. Thanks for the idea though!

  6. #6
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    Re: Unwanted Quotes

    You are trying to copy from the cell - not good

    Instead select the cell and copy directly from the Formula Bar; when you
    paste into Notpad the quotes will be missing.

    Have a good day!
    --
    Gary's Student

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary's Student
    You are trying to copy from the cell - not good

    Instead select the cell and copy directly from the Formula Bar; when you
    paste into Notpad the quotes will be missing.
    Thanks for the idea, but the cell I want to copy from actually contains a formula. If I copy from the formula bar, I get the formula, not the value of the formula.

  8. #8
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: Unwanted Quotes

    Thanks very much for your tip, Gary's Student. I learned something new today!
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin