Excel Timesheet

  1. #1
    Matt
    Guest

    Excel Timesheet

    Hi all

    Im trying to set up a new timesheet for use at work but dont know much
    about formulas etc, i need to put a start and finish time e.g. start 8.30,
    finish 12.30, then i need to calculate in a column at the end telling me how
    many
    hours ive worked between 8.30 and 12.30 then the same for the afternoon
    from 1.30 until 5pm with another column at the ending adding the hours worked
    in the morning to the hours worked in the afternoon giving me total hours
    worked that day and the same everyday for the week with a box at the bottom
    giving me total hours worked for the week, please help.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel Timesheet

    Just subtract the lower from the higher, and format that cell as time as
    well

    =B2-A2

    then just add the two totals cells together, and again format as time, say

    =E2+F2

    then at the bottom, just sum them and format as time

    =SUM(G2:G8)

    If you want a decimal number, say to multiply by rate to get pay, multiply
    by 24

    =G10*24

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Excel Timesheet

    Matt, try Chip Pearson's site:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm#TOC
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

  4. #4
    Matt
    Guest

    Re: Excel Timesheet

    I can now get the start and finish times to add up the hours i have done each
    day but at the bottom when i go to add up the total hours worked in the week
    as it is set to time format when you get to 24:00 it goes back to 01:00
    instead of carrying on as i need the total hours to read at least 37.5 hours,
    how can i solve this?

    Many thanks

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt

    "Bob Phillips" wrote:

    > Just subtract the lower from the higher, and format that cell as time as
    > well
    >
    > =B2-A2
    >
    > then just add the two totals cells together, and again format as time, say
    >
    > =E2+F2
    >
    > then at the bottom, just sum them and format as time
    >
    > =SUM(G2:G8)
    >
    > If you want a decimal number, say to multiply by rate to get pay, multiply
    > by 24
    >
    > =G10*24
    >

    > --
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > RP
    >

    > "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > Im trying to set up a new timesheet for use at work but dont know much
    > > about formulas etc, i need to put a start and finish time e.g. start 8.30,
    > > finish 12.30, then i need to calculate in a column at the end telling me

    > how
    > > many
    > > hours ive worked between 8.30 and 12.30 then the same for the afternoon
    > > from 1.30 until 5pm with another column at the ending adding the hours

    > worked
    > > in the morning to the hours worked in the afternoon giving me total hours
    > > worked that day and the same everyday for the week with a box at the

    > bottom
    > > giving me total hours worked for the week, please help.
    > > Thanks

    Matt

    Try formatting the cell as [h]:mm
    Paul

  6. #6
    Matt
    Guest

    Re: Excel Timesheet

    I am sorry people are not understanding. I have got my spreadsheet together
    so at the end of each day it adds up how many hours ive worked during each
    day e.g. see below:

    Day Start Finish Start Finish Hours
    Mon 7:50 13:00 5:10 14:00 17:00 3:00 8:10
    Tue 8:45 13:00 4:15 13:45 17:15 3:30 7:45
    Wed 8:40 13:00 4:20 13:45 17:20 3:35 7:55
    Thur 8:40 13:00 4:20 13:45 17:20 3:35 7:55
    Fri 8:00 13:00 5:00 13:45 18:00 4:15 9:15
    Total 17:00

    when i go to add up the total hours worked during the ween at the bottom it
    still uses 24 hr clock and when it gets to 24:00 it resets to 01:00 or
    something instead of carrying on, i also need it so it just counts
    1-60seconds in time format not up to 100 in normal number.

    Please help someone.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Excel Timesheet

    Paul gave you the answer yesterday:

    Matt

    Try formatting the cell as [h]:mm

    --
    Paul Sheppard

    --
    Regards

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

  8. #8
    Matt
    Guest

    Re: Excel Timesheet

    Ok i have got it set up now and i can work out my overtime as flexi time etc
    but i did under the standard hours i am supposed to do in a week and it gave
    me a load of hash symbols, how do i format the time to give a negative answer
    e.g. -01:30.

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Excel Timesheet

    XL normally cannot show negative times, (it can calculate them it just can't
    display them). To show negative time change to the 1904 date system:

    Tools > Options > Calculation > 1904 date system

    But note that ALL dates in that workbook will change by four years and one
    day.