PLEASE PLEASE HELP Application.Screenupdating

  1. #1

    PLEASE PLEASE HELP Application.Screenupdating

    Hi,

    I have been successfully using Application.Screenupdating = false before running my code and Application.Screenupdating = true after to get the macro to run faster.

    Suddenly Application.Screenupdating = false doesn't work anymore. After running that line of code checking the value of Application.Screenupdating gives you true! So it always keeps it true. I can change the value to flase in the immediate pane. It changes but then running any other line of code from the macro resets it to true.

    Please help me fix this. All my macros are now running soooo slowly. Thanks

    Note :The only change I remember making was setting the ignore other applications options in the general tab but I've removed that now and still it doesn't work.

  2. #2

    Hmmm

    I'm not sure, but I may have panicked. I was just thinking of how possible it is that excel would set screenupdating to true in debug mode so that people can look at the sheets during that time. I'm definitely not sure of this i'm just speculating. If that's the case then the reports are slowing down because of something else.

  3. #3

    Re: PLEASE PLEASE HELP Application.Screenupdating

    I've never seen this line of code not work. But I have seen this setting get
    changed to true.

    I think I'd add a bunch of:

    debug.print "step #1: " & application.screenupdating

    to see where it gets turned off.

    Once you find the problem, you can add a line to turn it off.

  4. #4

    Re: PLEASE PLEASE HELP Application.Screenupdating

    Does your code insert/delete rows or columns?

    If yes, then having that dotted line indicating where the page breaks should go
    can slow down your macro.

    Something like:
    ActiveSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = False
    at the top of the code could speed things up.