How to change a series of positive numbers to negative numbers

  1. #1
    Ellie
    Guest

    How to change a series of positive numbers to negative numbers

    I have a column with 2 reason codes in. One is 256, which gives in a
    preceding column a positive number. The other is 356, which in the same
    preceding column is also giving a positive number, which should actually be
    shown as a negative number. All these figures are random.

    Is there any way of changing the several hundred rows with reason code 356
    to show the quantity figure as being a negative?

    Ellie

  2. #2
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good afternoon Ellie

    You could achive this using a "helper" column. Say A=256 / 356, B= your quantity and your first row is row 1. In column C use the formula:

    =IF(A1=256,B1,B1*-1)

    and copy it all the way down.

    Once done, you could use Copy-Paste As function to convert the formula back into "proper" numbers.

    HTH

    DominicB

  3. #3
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: How to change a series of positive numbers to negative numbers

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 07:58:04 -0700, "Ellie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a column with 2 reason codes in. One is 256, which gives in a
    >preceding column a positive number. The other is 356, which in the same
    >preceding column is also giving a positive number, which should actually be
    >shown as a negative number. All these figures are random.
    >
    >Is there any way of changing the several hundred rows with reason code 356
    >to show the quantity figure as being a negative?
    >
    >Ellie

    Simplest way is to use a spare working column say C.

    Assuming the values are in column A and the codes in column B, enter
    the following in C1

    =if(B1=356,a1*-1,a1)

    Copy it down column C.
    Then Edit Copy the whole of Column C and Edit PastSpecial Value into
    Column A.

    HTH

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  4. #4
    Ellie
    Guest

    Re: How to change a series of positive numbers to negative numbers

    Thanks, Richard. That's great.

    Many thanks.

    Ellie

  5. #5
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: How to change a series of positive numbers to negative numbers

    Hi

    Select all cells with data.
    From Edit menu, select Replace, into SearchFor field enter 356, into
    ReplaceWith field enter -356, and click on ReplaceAll button.

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: How to change a series of positive numbers to negative numbers

    Sorry! Skip mu previous answer - I didn't read your posting carefully
    enough!

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...