Calculation Conundrum

  1. #1
    DonnaS
    Guest

    Calculation Conundrum

    I'm sure there is a simple solution, but after hours of research...I need help.
    There are staff members planned for a project and hours that need to be
    multiplied times the rate to give a dollar figure per person with a bottom
    line total for the dollars. There may be anywhere from 1-50 people assigned
    to a project so not every line is filled in. For example:
    Name hours Rate Total
    Chris 50 $100 $5000
    Joe 10 $125 $1250
    ? #VALUE
    ? #VALUE

    Total #VALUE

    What is the best way to handle this? Thank you for your kind assistance.
    DonnaS

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Calculation Conundrum

    Assuming your data below starts at A1

    In D2: =B2*C2
    Copy this down the column as far as you need,
    In column D below your last cell from above: =SUM(D2:D??) changing the ?? to
    the row above this cell.

    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    DonnaS
    Guest

    Re: Calculation Conundrum

    Your first formula is what I have in place. I have 50 rows that could be
    potentially filled in. Each of the 50 rows has a formula in the D column
    waiting for the rest of the data to be entered and may not be filled in.
    Each row that does not have data entered gives a #VALUE error, which is
    probably why I'm getting the same error at the bottom. It seems to me that
    there must be an IF statement that says something like if the cells of the
    formula are blank then the value should be 0. If the value was 0, then the
    total at the bottom would be sum of the column.
    Thank you for your time.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Carbondale CO
    DonnaS,
    Try

    =IF(AND(B2<>"",C2<>""),B2*C2,0)

    HTH
    Casey

  5. #5
    DonnaS
    Guest

    Re: Calculation Conundrum

    Hot dog...that did it! Thank you so much!