date formatting?

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    date formatting?

    I have a cell named PeriodStart.
    In a different cell i want it to say "MON" followed by the date of PeriodStart+3 in the format of m/d. So for example is period start is 8/1/2005, i want the cell to say "MON 8/4"
    I did concatenate("MON ",PeriodStart+3) and it's returning MON followed by the serial number. How do i format the serial number to give me the date value?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Richard Neville
    Guest

    Re: date formatting?

    I don't think you can have two formats in the same cell. How about adding a
    second cell after MON, formatted as m/d? The second cell could simply
    reference the MON cell, in the format =D7 (assuming MON is C7).

    "tkaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: date formatting?

    Here's one way to do it:
    ="MON "&TEXT((PeriodStart+3),"m/d")
    The TEXT() function displays the numerical date value in the date
    format you desire.

    However, if MON is meant to indicate Monday, your period may not always
    start on the prior Friday. If you need to capture the 3-letter
    abbreviation in your formula, use this:
    =TEXT(PeriodStart+3,"ddd")&" "&TEXT((PeriodStart+3),"m/d")

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: date formatting?

    One way:

    =TEXT(A1+3,"\MON m/d")

    In article <[email protected]>,

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: date formatting?

    Since 8/4/2005 was a Thursday, I 'm pretty sure that's not what the OP
    intended, but if it were, it would be a bit simpler to use

    =UPPER(TEXT(A1+3,"ddd m/d"))