Conditional Average

  1. #1

    Conditional Average

    Hi Everybody,

    I am trying to do a conditonal AVERAGE on an excel spreadsheet and am stuck...What I would like to do is check a one row for a certain value, and if true, AVERAGE the corresponding values on another coumn.

    Is this possible? thanks.

    -mek

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Let's assume you have a value in cell E23 that you want to look for in Range G22:L22. If found, average the range of G22:L22. Use this formula:

    =IF(NOT(ISNA(HLOOKUP(E23,G22:J22,1,0))),AVERAGE(G22:J22),"NOT FOUND")

    Is this what you are looking for?
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    I am assuming this would check for the whole range and average any corresponding values in another range?

    For example, out of my entire sales report, I would like to average the PRICE(N7:N81) column only for records that have New York in the STATE(G7:G81) column...

    thanks!

    -mek

  4. #4
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Average

    =AVERAGE(IF(1:1="value to check",2:2,""))

    Dave
    <!--

  5. #5
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Average

    Here's one way:

    =SUMIF(A1:A100,"Smith",B1:B100)/COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Smith")

    Here's another using an array formula (entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):

    =AVERAGE(IF(A1:A100="Smith",B1:B100))