MAX formula

  1. #1
    Westland, New Zealand

    MAX formula

    I've entered the following formula to find the largest value in a list:

    MAX(C3:C3000)

    So far, there are values in C3 to C35 - the formula is allowing for expansion. The only result I can get is zero. Any suggestions?

    Jonathan

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Are the cells C3 to C35 'numeric' values, ie, does the number show on the right side or left side of the cell?

    Try a helper column which has

    =value(C3)

    (down to C35) and test the Max from there, it should work if your entries are numeric.

    You could also use Max(C:C) so that you don't forget when you exceed 3,000.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonibenj
    I've entered the following formula to find the largest value in a list:

    MAX(C3:C3000)

    So far, there are values in C3 to C35 - the formula is allowing for expansion. The only result I can get is zero. Any suggestions?

    Jonathan
    Last edited by Bryan Hessey; 09-12-2005 at 12:17 AM.

  3. #3
    Westland, New Zealand
    Dear Bryan,

    Yes, the values are numeric. The cells are under the number formatting.
    I don't understand what you mean by a 'helper column'.

    Jonathan

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Jonathan

    A 'helper' column is a 'spare' column used for testing etc, if you have nothing in column D that would be useful.

    In this case it would show whether your cells in C3 to C35 have a 'numeric' problem that the =Max doesn't like.

    added,
    If that doesn't help, then remove all the data except for C3:C35 and the =Max cell and post the sheet here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonibenj
    Dear Bryan,

    Yes, the values are numeric. The cells are under the number formatting.
    I don't understand what you mean by a 'helper column'.

    Jonathan
    Last edited by Bryan Hessey; 09-12-2005 at 04:23 AM.

  5. #5

    Re: MAX formula

    Just because the format is Number doesn't mean that the values are numeric.
    They can still be text.

    One way to convert Text Numbers to Number Numbers is to:
    select an empty cell
    edit|copy
    select your range (all of column C???)
    edit|Paste special|check add

    If that doesn't make your =max() function work, any chance you're copying your
    data from a web site and getting extra characters (especially the HTML
    non-breaking space character) in the cell?

    If yes, then you may want to try David McRitchie's routine to clean that stuff
    up:

    (look for "Sub Trimall()")

  6. #6
    Westland, New Zealand
    Thanks for the tip, Dave, it worked! I had originally entered the values as text objects, because I wanted a zero in front, eg, 0147. Thinking that the MAX formula might not like these zeros, I reformatted the column as numbers, and took off the zeros. However, the numbers were still actually text numbers, like you suggested. We live and we learn, don't we?

    Jonathan