Excell, why oh why can't you just move rows up and down !!!!!

  1. #1
    Phil H
    Guest

    Excell, why oh why can't you just move rows up and down !!!!!

    You know, back before excell, when it was multiplan on the original Mac's,
    you could easily move rows and columns, inserting them INBETWEEEEEN other
    rows and colums. Twenty years later you still havn't corrected the idiotic
    proceedure required to move rows and columns in Excel. When you drag or
    paste a row or column it should default to slipping in INBETWEEEEEN the
    others. You could even have a cute little bar appear to indicate the
    difference between inserting INBETWEEEEEEN things and overwriting them (like
    Multiplan had). I have looked and looked for years and can't find a better
    work around in Excell than to create a blank row to be over written by the
    one I want to move there and then cutting and pasting the row I'm moving and
    then going back and erasing the blank row Excell creates in it's place.
    That's perfectly rediculous.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Excell, why oh why can't you just move rows up and down !!!!!

    So what you are saying is that you haven't tried selecting the rows in
    question, then right-clicking between the row headers and the rows, dragging
    to where it needs to go to, then letting go and choosing the 'Move here'
    option, at which point Excel will (and I quote)

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Excell, why oh why can't you just move rows up and down !!!!!

    > to where it needs to go to, then letting go and choosing the 'Move here'

    In XL 97 at least this replaces the column/row that it is covering. I
    assume that you mean "Shift {Right/Down} and Move"

    --
    Regards

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:%23vtXmB%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Excell, why oh why can't you just move rows up and down !!!!!

    LOL - Oops - Knew it was one of those damn options :-)

    Thanks for the catch Sandy.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:uQriTO%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Phil H
    Guest

    Re: Excell, why oh why can't you just move rows up and down !!!!!

    Well, actually that's a big improvement, using cut & paste that way, except
    that it inserts the gap above the one selected for some reason.... Thanks

  6. #6
    Westland, New Zealand
    Why not follow this procedure:

    1. Select the row/column you want to move and press Ctrl+X (for the 'cut' operation)
    2. Go to the required place and right click on the row/column after the point at which you want to insert
    3. Select the command that says 'insert copied cells'

    The row/column will be inserted, and the gap from whence it was taken will be closed up! The same procedure can be used to transfer more than one row/column at a time. However, when moving between sheets or separate workbooks, the original gap will need to be deleted.

    Jonathan

  7. #7
    Chris Segrave
    Guest

    Re: Excell, why oh why can't you just move rows up and down !!!!!

    Phil,

    I'm not trying to sound like a miser by saying this, but you could simply
    click on the row/column 'below' where you want it to go and inset the
    cut/copied row/column.....

    hope your enjoying your day mate

    R,
    Chris.