#Value error when linking workbooks

  1. #1
    London

    #Value error when linking workbooks

    Hello All,

    Hope you can assist.

    Excel 2003, SP1
    XP Home

    ---I am using '=Countif' to extract only 1 criteria from another workbook, and from 1 column only.

    --- =COUNTIF([Book2.xls]Sheet1!$B:$B,A2)

    ---Both Source & Formula bboks are same version.

    ---When source book is open, formula returns correct results.

    ---When source book closed & formula book is closed & opened, I get the Unable to find source error.

    ---To get around this for now, I am using the edit, links, startup prompt as the sheet will remain unchanged for the moment [until I sort this issue out :-)]

    =========
    Question is?
    =========

    Does the Countif function enable source sheets to update automatically. If not, is there a formula that does?

    Thanks for taking the time to read this,

    Regards
    F.O.L.A.L.D
    Flat Out Like A Lizard Drinking

  2. #2

    Re: #Value error when linking workbooks

    =countif() will work with open workbooks.

    It'll update as ofter as you recalculate
    (tools|options|calculation tab|check automatic???)

    You could use a different worksheet function:

    =sumproduct(--([Book2.xls]Sheet1!$B1:B999=A2))

    You can't use the whole column, though.

    (Build the formula with Book2.xls open and excel will adjust the formula when
    you close that workbook.)