.xls file not found when .xls file clicked

  1. #1

    .xls file not found when .xls file clicked

    Hi Folks,
    I have a problem that is driving me up the wall. Whenever I click a file of the type xxxx.xls (whether in browser, email, desktop, commander or anywhere), my excel program opens up and then I get an error message saying that xxxx.xls cannot be found.
    When I open up excel and do it the long way by moving down the path to the place where the file is located everything is OK
    Excel is set as my standard program for .xls extensions.
    This means that when I get an excel file in an email, I cant just click it to open it up; instead I have to save it somewhere, then open up excel, find the place where I saved the file and then open it.
    I have spent weeks searching for the problem. Can anyone help me before I go nuts? I still have 3 children to take care of at home.
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Werner

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: .xls file not found when .xls file clicked

    Try this

    Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
    Exit Excel and try again

    If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

    Close Excel first and
    On the Windows Taskbar

    1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    See the space between exe and /regserver

    You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
    In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thanks A Million! The First One Worked. You Have Improved The Quality Of My Life!